AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the exact place to post this, but I thought others may find it interesting. I have heard much about the Telarc 1812 Overture and how it gives your speakers a run for their money. Thought I would see how mine sounded. The speakers are Tyler Acoustics with Twin HSU TN1220 subs. D1 pre-pro and a Gemstone amp. The subs are driven with a B&K. Crossover set to 80Hz. The D1 set to 0.0 on the volume. The beginning of the Overture with the choir runs about 68-75db. I am about 12 ft. from the mains. Most of the song is in the 75-85db. range, however at the end with the cannons there are several 104db peaks and it just about takes your breath away. It really is the most dynamic sound I have ever tried to listen to. If you try this, please be careful as it will probably blow small subs. I definitely wouldn't try this with my speakers without the subs, at least at that volume.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I don't have this particular recording but I do have the Mercury Living Presence version.

Anyone know how the two compare?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I too am curious as to which copy to purchase. I did a search for it on Amazon and came up with a boatload of CDs that have this song. Which is the best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I'm pretty sure "the best" is one of these 2 recordings. Maybe each brings something unique/valuable to the table.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know which is supposed to be the best. The Telarc is by Eric Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. I know when they recorded it that they used real cannons!

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Yes, this is true also of the Mercury Living Presence version.

And it too can blow up your equipment if you're not careful :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have the Deutsche Grammophon one from 1991 myself. I am interested in the Telarc SACD version or maybe the DVD-Audio version.

Which one do you have NEThomas?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just have the "Redbook" version. I don't have a universal player and actually I just cant bring myself to listen to music in multichannel. I still like plain old stereo unless it is a music video.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
If you want clarity, power and loudness, the new Telarc is ahead of the old Telarc and the Mercury (the latter by a long shot). I prefer the DVD-A to the SACD, btw.

OTOH, the Telarcs are not my favorite performances.

Kal

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
If you want clarity, power and loudness, the new Telarc is ahead of the old Telarc and the Mercury (the latter by a long shot). I prefer the DVD-A to the SACD, btw.

OTOH, the Telarcs are not my favorite performances.

Kal
What is your favorite version Kal?

I used to have a old Deutsche Grammophon LP which is not the CD version I have now that also had real cannons and one time got the cops to show up when I played it loud one afternoon from a complaint almost 1/4 mile away. I think the LP was something like a 1968 give or take a couple of years issue.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts
I don't have a favorite version, just those I like less than others. It ain't a piece I listen to for the music, anyway.

Kal

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the SACD Telarc 1812, which I bought because of all of the great comments about the cannon blasts. To be honest, I thought the cannon blasts sounded kinda hokey. It sounded like they put them right next to the microphone (or phones in this case) and let them rip. I guess if that's what they were shooting for (pun intended :) ), then they accomplished it. But it doesn't match, IMO, the rest of the music. i.e. It sounds like someone took a recording of a nice orchestral piece and added a very loud cannon track.

Not sure if I'm explaining that right. I just thought it would sound more like the cannons were part of the orchestra (like a cymbal crash, only louder) but they don't. They sound too "added" to me.

The other thing about cannon blasts if you didn't know, is that cannons don't "boom", they kinda "ring". I was expecting BOOOOM. Nope... but that's not the recording's fault, just false expectations.

This was played on a Denon 3805, Rocket ELT and SVS 20-39PC+ set up.

Mike

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
It seems, from reviews in various places, that those who DO listen for the music (and what else is there?) like the Mercury version. It is certainly an analog recording, originally, the Telarc has probably been all digital all the way.

For musicality and interpretation, it seems to be Mercury. For dynamics, or the cleanness of the recording, it seems to be Telarc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the Mercury Living Presence 434 360-2, its quite impressive.

I also find "Out West!" ( Billy the Kid Suite) on Delos can be a great speaker test. I power my EFE T60's with a bridged ATI 1506, at around 600 watts each.... when the cannons go off, you can really feel it!!

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhawker
I have the SACD Telarc 1812, which I bought because of all of the great comments about the cannon blasts. To be honest, I thought the cannon blasts sounded kinda hokey. It sounded like they put them right next to the microphone (or phones in this case) and let them rip. I guess if that's what they were shooting for (pun intended :) ), then they accomplished it. But it doesn't match, IMO, the rest of the music. i.e. It sounds like someone took a recording of a nice orchestral piece and added a very loud cannon track.

Not sure if I'm explaining that right. I just thought it would sound more like the cannons were part of the orchestra (like a cymbal crash, only louder) but they don't. They sound too "added" to me.

The other thing about cannon blasts if you didn't know, is that cannons don't "boom", they kinda "ring". I was expecting BOOOOM. Nope... but that's not the recording's fault, just false expectations.

This was played on a Denon 3805, Rocket ELT and SVS 20-39PC+ set up.

Mike
i guess you haven't heard it live .... or with enough power.....

i use an outboard carver pro ZR1000 digital amp with my pioneer elite 55txi.... i tried it both ways.... first with the 55txi's internal amps and then with the carver ZR amp....

night and day difference..... the receiver's amps could not handle the cannon blasts in terms of the power demands...... and this is with very efficient klipsch KLF-30 speakers (102 db @ 1watt @ 1meter)......

your rockets are much less efficient and the denon 3805 has internal amps that are very similiar to my 55txi....

with the outboard amp in the system, the recording was very close to the several times that i heard this work live.....

and to those of you who don't own this recording, there is a great deal of "cannon" information in the left and right channels - not just in the sub....

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently purchased the same recording of 1812. Now on a quest to figure out which Bach organ music and Beethoven 9th to buy.

Haven't tried the 1812 w/o my sub yet - and I may never.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i bought the telarc 1812 on vinyl when it first came out. amazing! but to play it i had to increase the tracking force from 1.2 to 2 grams. at 1.2 it darn near threw the stylus off the record. thats was a dual 1245 with a microacoustics MA282e. (i still run that combo!) then, when it came out, i bought the cd version. much clearer presentation, bells, voices, cannon. and i hardly have to crank up the laser at all to make it track properly! ;)

sm.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SpruceMoose
i bought the telarc 1812 on vinyl when it first came out. amazing! but to play it i had to increase the tracking force from 1.2 to 2 grams. at 1.2 it darn near threw the stylus off the record. thats was a dual 1245 with a microacoustics MA282e. (i still run that combo!) then, when it came out, i bought the cd version. much clearer presentation, bells, voices, cannon. and i hardly have to crank up the laser at all to make it track properly! ;)

sm.

and now you need to take the next step and get the multichannel SACD....

even more detail, clarity, and impact than the cd or vinyl versions......

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Mike, I, too, have heard this piece live, outdoors, with seven real cannon, and even then, the cannon did sound separate, like they're not part of the orchestra; after all, they're not.

However, nothing delivers that "thump" in the chest like real cannon fire, except maybe for the sound from those firework shows that are just one flash, and a deep, loud report.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nethomas
I have heard much about the Telarc 1812 Overture and how it gives your speakers a run for their money...Most of the song is in the 75-85db. range, however at the end with the cannons there are several 104db peaks and it just about takes your breath away. It really is the most dynamic sound I have ever tried to listen to. NETHOMAS
I have the LP vinyl version from the first pressing run and let me tell 'ya...very few pick ups (cartridges as they were also known) could handle the extreme grooves at the finale of the Overture! :eek:

Telarc actually had to back off the level and repress the LP so most folks could play it all the way through! :D

I also have the CD (uncompressed PCM digital sound) and the ending can literally destroy many a woofer with pretensions to infrabass performance when played back at rather spirited sound pressure levels.

That's why I use multiple (several) subs in oder to handle situations such the Telarc version of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture...the most demanding of ALL versions extant. ;)

Glad to see that younger folks are interested in good music (and I hope the 1812 Overture is heard because of its musical value not just because its potential to destroy hearing and subwoofers)...

-THTS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.