AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to finally get a new TV for our home 'office' since our 20" Sony CRT bit the dust in a lightning hit last summer. We've been using an ancient 13" Sharp CRT we dug out of the basement so almost anything we get will be an improvement.


When we sit at the computer, we're about 3-3.5 feet away from the TV stand so a 19"-22" should suffice I would think for this purpose. It won't be hooked up to a cable box, just regular cable line so the only HD channels will be the basics -- ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX. Budget isn't too much of an option since the range these guys run from is just under $200-upper $200 anyway.


Looks like the main choices are: Vizio, Insignia, Samsung, and Toshiba.


With this small of a TV, I know the PQ differences aren't as great as those seen in 50+" TV but any to steer away from or lean towards?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyPA /forum/post/18190593


Looking to finally get a new TV for our home 'office' since our 20" Sony CRT bit the dust in a lightning hit last summer. We've been using an ancient 13" Sharp CRT we dug out of the basement so almost anything we get will be an improvement.


When we sit at the computer, we're about 3-3.5 feet away from the TV stand so a 19"-22" should suffice I would think for this purpose. It won't be hooked up to a cable box, just regular cable line so the only HD channels will be the basics -- ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX. Budget isn't too much of an option since the range these guys run from is just under $200-upper $200 anyway.


Looks like the main choices are: Vizio, Insignia, Samsung, and Toshiba.


With this small of a TV, I know the PQ differences aren't as great as those seen in 50+" TV but any to steer away from or lean towards?

Treat yourself to a 26 inch and get a tested model at the same time.


Sanyo DP26649, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10929988


Excellent picture quality with both HD and SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I got a Samsung 2333HD for my son. He uses it for XBOX and OTH TV. It can be found for around $250, and is excellent. Nice 1080P picture, two HDMI, plus component, DVI, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18190708


Treat yourself to a 26 inch and get a tested model at the same time.


Sanyo DP26649, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10929988


Excellent picture quality with both HD and SD.

Thanks for the suggestion spyboy, but I really can't get anything larger than a 22" since any 26" is too wide for the small stand we have... it's a SMALL room... kind of like a glorified closet almost.


The room would be 10'x10' IF it were square, BUT almost a quarter of the room is taken up by a closet off the hallway.. making it almost an L-shaped room... only 6' wide at each end of the "L"... very small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyPA /forum/post/18191086


Thanks for the suggestion spyboy, but I really can't get anything larger than a 22" since any 26" is too wide for the small stand we have... it's a SMALL room... kind of like a glorified closet almost.


The room would be 10'x10' IF it were square, BUT almost a quarter of the room is taken up by a closet off the hallway.. making it almost an L-shaped room... only 6' wide at each end of the "L"... very small.

OK, I'm sure some other people will come along with suggestions for 19-22 inches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
I'm guessing that you are not getting a lot of responses because of the small size TV you are asking about. I have no experience with LCDs of that size either, but I'm also guessing that among any of the major brands, one is probably as good as any other.


Because of the relatively low cost involved, if I were you I would just pick the one that looks the best to my eyes and go with that one.


Good luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after shopping online and at a few stores, I definitely eliminated the 19" as they are just way too small, even for our tiny room and close sitting proximity. The 22" seems very comparable to our old 20" CRT, so we came up with these two finalists:


Insignia NS-L22Q10A ($219 sale): Looks to fit the bill, but a bit wary of the Insignia name since I've got no prior experience. Its 26" brother rated very well (65 and a recommended mark) though at Consumer Reports, with only viewing angle less than good.


Vizio VA220E ($228): Also fits what I looking for and like a 32" Vizio that we have in a bedroom. However, its 32" big brother rated poorly (45) at Consumer Reports. I was actually leaning towards this set until I saw that.


Hard to judge PQ since they are at different stores, but both seemed good for this size/price. So would you choose the better-name, but poorer-rated Vizio or the cheaper-name, but better-rated Insignia???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
Your money, your choice, but between the two, I'd take the Vizio. Insignias don't get a lot of love on this Forum.


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyPA /forum/post/18226820


So after shopping online and at a few stores, I definitely eliminated the 19" as they are just way too small, even for our tiny room and close sitting proximity. The 22" seems very comparable to our old 20" CRT, so we came up with these two finalists:


Insignia NS-L22Q10A ($219 sale): Looks to fit the bill, but a bit wary of the Insignia name since I've got no prior experience. Its 26" brother rated very well (65 and a recommended mark) though at Consumer Reports, with only viewing angle less than good.


Vizio VA220E ($228): Also fits what I looking for and like a 32" Vizio that we have in a bedroom. However, its 32" big brother rated poorly (45) at Consumer Reports. I was actually leaning towards this set until I saw that.


Hard to judge PQ since they are at different stores, but both seemed good for this size/price. So would you choose the better-name, but poorer-rated Vizio or the cheaper-name, but better-rated Insignia???

I would be hard-pressed to choose the Vizio given the mediocre performance of the Vizio VA320E. It is the Fair ratings for Picture Quality with HD and Fair for Picture Quality with SD that would probably keep me from buying the Vizio VA220E.


A lot of credit cards add one year to the warranty, so if you were to get the Insignia with such a credit card, you would have 3 years of warranty coverage.


Can you live with that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18227291


I would be hard-pressed to choose the Vizio given the mediocre performance of the Vizio VA320E. It is the Fair ratings for Picture Quality with HD and Fair for Picture Quality with SD that would probably keep me from buying the Vizio VA220E.


A lot of credit cards add one year to the warranty, so if you were to get the Insignia with such a credit card, you would have 3 years of warranty coverage.


Can you live with that?

I think so. These small TVs IMO are pretty much disposables anyway. I was looking into Samsungs too, but can't justify spending 50% more in this case. PQ can't be discerned as the Insignia and Samsung were side-by-side. That extra $100 saved by not getting the Samsung can be used elsewhere, like maybe buying another Vizio or Insignia after it breaks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen /forum/post/18227706


how about samsung T220HD http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T220HD-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0019HGTLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267464059&sr=8-2


i just love samsung, currently using 2333sw purely for my graphic design work. couldn't be better

Yep, thanks for the additional option. I looked into the monitors with the TV tuners like the Samsung 2333HD when I started searching and found way too many reviews saying that the sound was atrocious, even for this sized 'TV'. If I were using it as a monitor moreso and TV secondarily, those'd be at the very top of the list, but it's going to be a TV exclusively so don't want to add on separate speakers and make it a bigger project than it should be. I'd have to put the speakers on the middle shelf on the stand since they wouldn't fit on top but then the kids (3yr and 1yr) would have a field day with pulling them down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Hey StoneyPA, I was looking for a 22" sized TV for the kitchen and I found just the one I was looking for. It is the newest Sony Bravia 22EX308 that just came out this month.


I ordered mine from B&H and it just shipped so I'll tell you how it is when I get it. One of the things to look for in a good TV at these small sizes are the viewing angles, if they are like 170/160 then that means they are using a cheaper panel with bad viewing angles especially from the bottom. 178/178 is the best you can get. This Sony is reported at 176/176 so I'm hoping it uses a good panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fraggo,

OK, I'll wait to hear about it. Viewing angle isn't necessarily a big concern in our case as we'll be stationarily viewing the TV from the desk chair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I got the TV today, it's a good TV in terms of picture quality and you get a wifi adapter that lets you watch youtube and other videos on the set. The sound is good enough for my usage. The black levels, contrast and colors exceeded my expectations. Good viewing angle with no bad spots. The screen is a slight matte which is a plus for me. Hooked up a PC with the VGA with no problem. HD broadcast looks great and SDTV looks good.


The only thing I don't like is the glossy bezel but what LCD doesn't have one these days?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
See if you can find an Insignia NS-L22X10A (may be scarce, I got mine in July 2009.) It's a 1080p 22". Good set, surprisingly. Has 3 HDMI inputs, 2 component, lighted remote. View angle is like other 22" (a bit narrower than bigger sets).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB1 /forum/post/18190729


I got a Samsung 2333HD for my son. He uses it for XBOX and OTH TV. It can be found for around $250, and is excellent. Nice 1080P picture, two HDMI, plus component, DVI, etc.

Samsung makes the best HDTV imo.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top