AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a LCD in this size for $500. I would like it to be widescreen. Planning on using it for both PC and TV use. What are my options?

·
Premium Member
18,293 Posts
That budget won't get you much, but one possibility is the 19" Westinghouse LTV-19W3. It's widescreen and has a PC input. It's one cent under your budget :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Randy. I actually just saw that one the other day and I am definately considering it. The only other option that I can see could be the dell 2005 20.1" LCD, but then I lose the tv tuner, but gain an inch of screen. They both seem to be around the same price (street price that is).

·
Registered
342 Posts
What about the Viewsonic N2050W? 20-inch, built-in NTSC tuner, 16:9, PC input. Street price is a shade above $$$.

Tony

EDIT>>

mod note: no price other than MSRP, please. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you're interested in the Westinghouse, I sent you some info in a message. There are some pretty nice LCDs in that size range with both a TV tuner and a PC input. One thing about the 19" Westinghouse is that it's not wall mountable according to the specifications, if that makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. Does anyone else have experiance with the Viewsonic n2050w. That seems like another option that I had no idea about.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
As a general comment, I think you get a bigger and better display without a built-in tuner or speakers. The NTSC tuner and speakers seems to add about $300 to the cost of the panel, whereas you can add an NTSC tuner to a PC for $30 and an ATSC tuner for $100, and the PC probably has speakers already.

I realize there is a convenience factor to not having the PC turned on for TV watching, but it also goes the other way. I tend to watch my HDTV and DVDs and even some analog TV fullscreen. However sometimes I like to reduce the TV picture to a part-screen window while I do E-Mail or web surf or even play cards. This is particularly common when watching the news which seldom requires your full attention - if something interesting happens, a quick double-click on the TV window pops it up to fullscreen.

Gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees17
Thanks everyone for the replies. Does anyone else have experiance with the Viewsonic n2050w. That seems like another option that I had no idea about.
I'm using the N2050W. I haven't looked at too many other options, but here is what I think of it:

-It's thicker than I thought. It's 4.25" deep without the stand.

-Terrible TV tuner

-Bad black levels

-No DVI port, uses VGA for PC hookup

-Can't get native resolution working properly (I supply it with a 1366x768 signal and it still seems to scale horizontally, but this may be a configuration error on my part)

-Remote sucks, doesn't always respond to button presses

-Slow to turn or switch input source, takes about 5 seconds before you can see a picture

-My panel top right corner is washed out a little brigher than the rest.. looks like light leakage

Aside from all the negatives listed above I am happy with the screen. The response rate is nice, and it scales 720p signals nicely to it's native resolution.

~Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
That budget won't get you much, but one possibility is the 19" Westinghouse LTV-19W3.
I'm trying this monitor out right now. It looks terrific when connected to my computer via DVI, but I have a problem when hooked up to my Xbox. I wanted to see what it would look like in HD, so I put in the only HD game I own: Amped 2. The problem is that the sides of the game get cut off in 720p (you can easily tell because your score goes off the screen). I switched back to 480p and sure enough, the sides were fine at that resolution. My question is this: Is Amped an isolated incident or does this monitor cut all HD material off at the sides?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was looking at one at Best Buy and it was doing that same cut off deal but top and bottom. Or at least bottom. Compared directly to the sets beside it, it seemed as if it was zoomed.

The remote of course did not have batteries in it and for some odd reason there does not seem to be a way to get into the menu with the buttons on the TV. I only found volume up and down, channel up and down, source, and an on/off button.

Very curious about this Westy because it will fit a space in my kitchen perfectly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hooked the monitor up to my cable box and there is a definite problem with 720p. The screen does have that zoomed in look, which become very apparent when looking at the station watermarks. ABC becomes a semi-circle and the 11 on FOX11 is cut off. Force the cable box to output 1080i and things look much better scaled.

The remote wouldn't have done you any good, the only scaling mode available with 720 and 1080 is Full. You can, however, adjust the scaling on 480p.

So now I just need to decide if the pros (screen size, price, connections) outweigh the con of having to set all 720 material to 1080 or living with overscan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The zoomed look you referenced may be that it is in zoom mode. I bought this for my Mom's use and when I put it up ( she only has basic cable right now) the "zoom" feature didn't seem to do anything. Maybe you have to have the right source DVI, etc. The manual doesn't fully address the purpose of the feature. Also if you are looking at BB press and hold the source button for like ten seconds according to manual that brings up menu

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are there any issues with displaying 480p or 480i on the LTV-19W3? The current Best Buy price makes this set very temping for the bedroom, where it will be primarily used with an SD feed or DVD.

Thanks,

Red.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.