AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a rear projection HDTV (55inch+) that will do 1900x1080 that has a built in HDTV tuner that has an output for AC3? MOst of them I see out either need a seperate decoder (Pioneer), can not do full 1900x1080 resolution (yet they say 1080 on the TV) Mitsumbisi (sp is real bad on that I know), or the AC3 reciever is build in with very few outs on the ser, I need to be able to output and feed back from a PVR (the phillips).

Thanks.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you are looking for true 1920x1080 then you probably need a set with larger than 7" tubes. Can you find this in RPTVs?

Is the 1920 resolution that important to you? Sets that can't display the full 1920 look good as well.

Richard

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There are no consumer based HD-RPTV's that can resole the full 1920 Hort. Pixels. Even the 9" CRT based RPTV's can't do it because they lack the very expensive focusing system that the professional 9" FPTV's have like the Sony G90 ($35,000) and the Vidikron Vison 1 ($45,00). Having 9" tubes is not enough to get the resolving power necessary to resolve 1920. You need the very small spot beam focusing system and the ultra fast retrace times.

The best thing to do is to go out and audition different HD-RPTV's and pick the one that looks best to you.

Lee

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
And of course its questionable whether, if you could fully resolve the 1080 signal on a sixty something inch RPTV, you could begin to see all of that resolution on that small a screen at any kind of normal viewing distance. Of course its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, but if you can actually resolve all of that nice detail it would be nicer to have it a slightly larger screen where you can actually see it all.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks

[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Other than the literal resolutions you specified, the Philips 64PH9905, if you can still locate one, has what you're looking for, including the built-in tuner and 6 Dolby outputs (plus a separate, non-decoded, AC3 jack). It's a 64-in. 16X9 with 9-in. CRTs. Haven't looked into prices since last July, but I got a 9905 at a considerable discount by buying directly from Philips (because no local dealer I contacted had them). This may no longer be possible.

I mentioned literal 1080iX1920 resolutions above because I don't know where you'd get such signals to feed into a 9905--unless you use test equipment. Philips claims (engineers as well as marketing) the 9905 will display a full 1080i signal, but what that means can become very complex, IMO.

It appears, for example, that virtually all HDTV programs aired are transmitted at 1080i X <1400 due to restrictions by the video recorders used for most production and by stations. Haven't seen any figures specifying what live 1080i broadcasts are delivered at (maximum horizontal resolution). That resolution varies with ATSC MPEG2 encoding depending on how much detail is in a split-second image and how much that image differs from similar images occurring at about the same time.

Also, tests for the ATSC, which created the HDTV standard, indicate they anticipated and measured considerably less than 1080iX1920 (see section 2.1, tables 2.2, 2.3). In a December thread (12/8 and other notes), I made a stab at simplifying these tables. Keep in mind they used stationary and moving test patterns for this data; a moving test pattern displays one resolution within the pattern and a separate resolution outside the moving pattern. Similarly, with movement within a video scene, say a golf club swing, there are differing resolutions within the scene. The ATSC committee measured 400X1780 resolution for a moving 1080iX1920 test pattern (black and white). -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The Zenith IQB64W10W is a 64" RPTV with 9" guns that has an internal tuner and AC3 coaxial output.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
630 Posts
Although nothing like this currently exists, I think the "Holy Grail" of HDTV would be a fixed pixel display with 1080 X 1920 pixels. I can only dream of owning a plasma, DLP, or D-ILA display with a native 1080 by 1920 resolution. No more convergence. No problems with focus/lens for plasma. Just a perfect picture.

Scott

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Scott,

I believe we are about 2 or 3 years from seeing a 1920x1080 DLP chip for consumer use. We already have a 1280x720. The new JVC D'ILA chip set will be QXGA so it surpasses HDTV but will only be available to the professional market for the forseeable future.

Lee

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I will believe a display can "fully resolve" 1080i when I see a test pattern on it that proves that it can. Until then, I don't believe it. They can claim whatever they want.

------------------

Frank...

Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.