AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it says...games support hdtv then it says maximum resolution...1920 x 1080 as far as hdtv...does this fall under the 480p, 780p, or 1080i?

·
Registered
379 Posts
THe XBox console "supports" up to 1080i. The actual resolution displayed is dependent on the software (meaning it will vary from game to game).

Don't count on many 1080i games.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Actually, all of the initial games will run in 480p. This is of course 640 x 480 progressive. If you have ever seen a Dreamcast hooked up to a HDTV via the VGA Box, then you would know how good 480p is for a video game system. It is very impressive indeed. The first game that is supposed to go higher than 480p is Test Drive. I heard that it could be 1080i. That should be very interesting.

Also, you should be aware that the Nintendo Gamecube will also output 480p. There are a couple of games on the Gamecube that don't work in 480p, but virtually all the rest do.

Going back to the XBOX, it is thought that there will be quite a few future XBOX game that will run in 720p, but we probably won't see these games until 2003.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
In the PC world, games often scale to different resolutions quite well; games like quake support pretty much any resolution, including custom, so I don't see any reason why X-Box games wouldn't support HDTV resolutions. . That's not to say that all games will have special high-res textures for HDTV, but even if they just scale the standard EDTV graphics up to HDTV, it should result in fewer jaggies and a better picture.

My only question is whether the XBox gaphics engine is up to the task of supporting 1920x1080 without hurting performance. It'll be interesting to see if the XBox's architecture is fill-rate bound the way that AGP graphics cards are in the PC arena.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Everyone will get all their xbox questions answered in one week.

Woo:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
A buddy of mine has Halo and the neither the case or manual goes into any detail regarding much of anything we would be looking for. There is a big warning about burn-in though.

It doesnt even mention online play, which this game is ripe for. I'm hoping the game is ready and is just waiting for the XBox online gaming network to be finished (built).

Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
As far as i know, i've been doing quite a bit of research on this but have turned up hardly nothing. I'm actually giving some thought to publishing a small webpage containing widescreen and HD support for x-box games.

But I have reason to believe that Halo, madden 2002, and the transworld titles AT LEAST support 16x9. I haven't been able to turn up any info on what modes this supports. But from what anthony1 said, i'm guessing it should be at least 480p?

It's kind of crazy that hd support info is scarce to none. I guess time will tell?

possibly it's like resolution control on a PC? Software side to a point but you have the ability for many resolutions? I'm hoping that's the case but i've heard that it's not the case...would be nice though!

·
Registered
379 Posts
even PC game resolutions are determined by the software. for instance, the highest resolution in NHL 2002 is 1600x1200. MY monitor supports over 1900 x YYYY, but I still can't choose that in NHL 2003.

Don't count on it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
in the official xbox mag DOA3 is explicitly mentioned as having HD

support. I've seen shot of an xbox event that had all the game running on 4:3 plasma screen , but all the games were 16:9. I'm

starting to think I gone to become a HUGE Microsoft fan.

when I find the pics again i'll post a link

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Trevor,

If a 4:3 game is played on a 16:9 monitor and stretched via the monitor's expand mode, it may appear that they are 16:9. This doesn't mean they are either 16:9 or HD....fyi.

Troy

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Keep an eye on my website guys. We will be covering the Xbox, and since I am also a DD5.1 buff, and an HD owner, I will definately be covering the HDTV aspect of the Xbox and it's games.

Here's a couple articles on DD5.1 to get you started.

Eidos' uses DD5.1 starting with Mad Dash Racing.

Aerosmith to rock Xbox in Dead or Alive 3, with Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound!

Infogrames Nascar Heat Uses Dolby Digital 5.1

Also, I am checking with the producer of the Xbox version of Test Drive, and I'll find out if it will be higher than 480p. At this point in time, I don't know of any HD Xbox games. But I will keep you guys informed when I find out about them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont
Trevor,

If a 4:3 game is played on a 16:9 monitor and stretched via the monitor's expand mode, it may appear that they are 16:9. This doesn't mean they are either 16:9 or HD....fyi.

Troy
take a look at the Titans logo in the NFL Fever pic and you will see that it is a perfect circle. This is hard to get in a zoom and

imposible in strech mode.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Ok, according to the production team for Pitbull Syndicate (the people making Test Drive for Xbox), it WILL support high-definition. What this means I won't know until I play it. But as soon as I see it, I'll let everyone know if it's 1080i.

Oh, on another note, Nintendo's GameCube, while not HD, DOES support 480p Progressive Scan. One of the first games out, Rogue Squadron 2 supports it. Of course, we can't test it yet, but I imagine it looks like a Dreamcast in VGA mode.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Quote:
1920 x 1080 for xbox..what does this mean??
My take on this is Microsoft is going to get tons of idiots calling complaining that there 4x3 Analog TV can't do the HD that was promised! You just watch I will guarantee it!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS

My take on this is Microsoft is going to get tons of idiots calling complaining that there 4x3 Analog TV can't do the HD that was promised! You just watch I will guarantee it!
I don't think so and I'll tell you why. The average joe game player really has no idea what HD games are, much less figure out that they have to buy the Component video kit for it. The Xbox games will only give you the option to play in other resolution modes if the TV supports it. Anyone going through the standard S-video or Composite cables (which is going to be about 95% of the people who buy the Xbox), aren't even going to know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at the xbox event in manhattan last week.. and I can say

that the games were in HD

they had them in 16:9 on hitatchi 4:3 lcd's

they also had 2 or 3 huge plasma displays with the games playing

according to a guy at the event who worked for MS

all games are supposed support 16x9 whether or not they run in 480p or 1080i

Now the question is I need a component switch go to between my dish 6000 and the xbox I'll be buying next week...

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ezeger
I was at the xbox event in manhattan last week.. and I can say

that the games were in HD

they had them in 16:9 on hitatchi 4:3 lcd's

they also had 2 or 3 huge plasma displays with the games playing

according to a guy at the event who worked for MS

all games are supposed support 16x9 whether or not they run in 480p or 1080i

Now the question is I need a component switch go to between my dish 6000 and the xbox I'll be buying next week...

It all depends on the game, and who programs it. Not every Xbox game is going to have 16x9 built into it. So far, companies like EA and Infogrames, two of their larger supporters, will support 16x9 in their games.

Oh, and I'm using an non-powered composite switcher for my component video. I just use the yellow, red, and white for the r,g, and b cables. I picked up a cheap TOSLink switch from Radio Shack for the Digital switching. Works well. Already has places set for the Xbox and GameCube.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.