Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChrisB

Thanks for the link. I tried the TMPEG utility without success. It claims the 1920x1080 mpg is 'unsupported'

I'm converting HDTV .ts files to MPG2 files for SW playback. This is working well for me with 1280x720 files but not for 1920x1080 files. My thought was that if I can convert the 1920x1080 mpgs to 1280x720, they should work fine. (My display is 1280x720)

Have you used the TMPG to do this? Any tips on what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone else do this? How?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Flask allows you to convert mpg files into just about anything, and allows for mpeg 4 conversion as well (with the downladed plugin). I haven't tried your specific setup, but it has worked well with many different strangeness that I have thrown at it. currently they are offering a .6 beta which is really good, but offers little in the way of troubleshooting. Prievious .5 versions are a little less intuitive, but offer better error reporting, so that troubleshooting is easier.

-nate

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nate.

I just tried flask .6 It seemed soo close. It would open the 1920x1080 file just fine (more than I could get Tmpg to do) When I went to resize to 1280 x 720 it said 'size is out of range'

Oh Well, Soo very close.

Any other tips? I'll try em all. I go try .594 for giggles.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Flask in on version 1.something now. There is another encoder a friend told me about.

Go to www.warp2search.com and look for ripitall.

I haven't tried it. Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Check out the guides and tools at www.doom9.net.

I can convert 1080i to 720p @ 24 using a combination of DVD2AVI, Avisynth, and Virtualdub but I use Divx4. It can't handle mpeg2 that way though I think you can to it with CCE.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried ripitall and CCE. Both appear to be for AVI/DiVX and don't offer the necessary scaling. Please correct me if i missed something. Looking for a 1 stop MP2-->MP2 process. I'll Try flask to 960x544 and see how it holds up.

Thanks for Trying. I'm still open.

Dave

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Dave -

Though I don't have it I had thought that CCE would go to mpeg2.

Also I thought you could use it with Avisynth as a frame server, From DVD2AVI through Avisynth to CCE. That would allow you to use my DScaler GreedyHMA filter to deinterlace/IVTC and Avisynth BilinearResize (or slower Bicubic) to scale it.

Except for the CCE part I already have done this from 1080i to 720p @ 24.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Though I don't have it I had thought that CCE would go to mpeg2.
It might go to Mpeg2 but it wants avi as an input. (and didn't see any scaling but admittably gave up when I couldn't feed it a MPG2)

Sorry, I'm just learning this stuff and DS filters and feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose.

It sure ain't 'push a button' Appears I may need to go to AVI at some point. I'll probably persue your path when my dozen or so yet to be tried paths don't work. :)

Thanks for everyones help

Dave

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlarsen
ChrisB

Thanks for the link. I tried the TMPEG utility without success. It claims the 1920x1080 mpg is 'unsupported'

I'm converting HDTV .ts files to MPG2 files for SW playback. This is working well for me with 1280x720 files but not for 1920x1080 files. My thought was that if I can convert the 1920x1080 mpgs to 1280x720, they should work fine. (My display is 1280x720)

Have you used the TMPG to do this? Any tips on what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone else do this? How?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave
Dave,

What is the specific problem with 1920x1080 playback compared to 1280x720?

I'm using Xmuxer to remux 1920x1080 TS files to vob files, retaining ac3 audio, and then using ATI 4.1 player filters via ZoomPlayer to playback those vobs on a 1280x960 Radeon LE desktop with Celeron 850MHz under Win98 with about 40% CPU utilisation. It works very well except for occassional strings of multicoloured blocks appearing at scene transitions in the source vob.

I have also got this arrangement to work using WinDVD 2.8 filters instead of ATI, but CPU utilisation is up to 75% and there may be a small problem with some dropped frames.

Unfortunately conversion is a time consuming step for maybe not significant return, unless you want to reduce the storage space and go for Divx compression.

I do not have a 1280x720 source to test.

Ian

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
What is the specific problem with 1920x1080 playback compared to 1280x720?
1920x1080 files studder, and have bad motion interlacing feathering, sound sync problems... 1280x720 files works great. Also, The display is 1280x720 DVI and has no downscaling.

Quote:
Not trying to nitpick, but wouldn't 960x540 be more appropriate (scaling-wise)? Or does it need to be a multiple of 8?
It needs to be a multiple of 16 according to flask. Also flask reports the file to be 1920x1088.

I'm about ready to bag this approch (1.5 hrs to do a 4 min file?) and go with a VGA to DVI adapter, DVI is the complicating factor.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.