AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I jsut built a second htpc upstairs. I am using an AMD motherboard with built in HD 4200 radeon. I have a Vizio JV50P ( http://www.vizio.com/jv50phdtv10a.html ) which can do 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV). I am connecting using a HDMI cable.

In my catalyst software, I can do either 1080i at 30hz or 720p at 60hz. Most files I watch are 720p tv shows.

What resolution should I set the computer to output for the least amount of jitter in the playback?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
1366x768 is the native resolution of your display. Your tv may not accept 1360x768 through HDMI so it would be best to use VGA. ALWAYS, ALWAYS try to use the native resolution of your display, this will give the sharpest picture. Your display will only do 60hz so you will have some judder with 24fps material.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I got 1366x768 setup via hdmi. Refresh is only 30hz on that resolution. Wouldnt 60 hz be better?

Also I notice much less stutter and better performance from my xbox 360 streaming the same file through windows media center. Why do you think this is?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shows up as a resolution in Catalyst Center and if I select 60 hertz in forces me to 720p in the hdtv settings.

CPU Usage is nominal as it is a Phenom II X3 and according to XBMC it is using maybe 6% as I am using DXVA2 hardware decoding/ Maybe Ill turn that off and try again.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When connected via HDMI, your display assumes that you are using a CE device instead of a PC - hence the available timings. You might check your manual and see what is permitted via the VGA connection as you should be able to use the native resolution of your panel at 60hz (as mentioned in post #2)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Just do it! As explained in #2 (above) you want the native panel's resolution to you have 1:1 pixel mapping from your PC to the panel. This is a big, bulky and DUMB panel it'll probably accept only a couple of resolutions and don't expect anything higher than 60Hz - it's not a high-dollar monitor...

Have you read the owner's manual on it? The chart on pg 25 states exactly what we've told you about the best picture quality... what I'd be interested in is whether you're using the 5.1 sound system it has - YES, this Vizio has external Rear Surround speakers, a subwoofer and three speakers across its face! I mention this as the RGB (computer VGA connector) will only use the 1/8" audio jack input for stereo sound... this will not give you 'theatre quality' audio from your 785. If you're interested in the sound quality you may have to trade some video quality and use either the HDMI for video & audio, or use HDMI-3 and the SPDIF IN as explained on page 40. If you do use HDMI then pick whichever resolution looks best to you...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck /forum/post/19636691

Just do it! As explained in #2 (above) you want the native panel's resolution to you have 1:1 pixel mapping from your PC to the panel. This is a big, bulky and DUMB panel it'll probably accept only a couple of resolutions and don't expect anything higher than 60Hz - it's not a high-dollar monitor...

Have you read the owner's manual on it? The chart on pg 25 states exactly what we've told you about the best picture quality... what I'd be interested in is whether you're using the 5.1 sound system it has - YES, this Vizio has external Rear Surround speakers, a subwoofer and three speakers across its face! I mention this as the RGB (computer VGA connector) will only use the 1/8" audio jack input for stereo sound... this will not give you 'theatre quality' audio from your 785. If you're interested in the sound quality you may have to trade some video quality and use either the HDMI for video & audio, or use HDMI-3 and the SPDIF IN as explained on page 40. If you do use HDMI then pick whichever resolution looks best to you...

I know this is a not a high quality tv. It has been good enough for HD cable and video via WMC in my Xbox 360.

I am using spdif optical out to an Onkyo 7.1 surround receiver. So I can continue using that with a VGA connection. For some reason I though picture quality via VGA is inferior to what hdmi can do on the same tv. I was wring.... thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Nobody's wrong... just understanding what you need to have happen. So how is the image using VGA over HDMI, you never said. And now that we know you're only looking to use the Vizio as a display my comments about the sudio portion are moot. Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts