AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted this about a week ago in the LCD Display section to the sound of tumbleweeds crossing the dusty horse-trodden main drag of a one-horse town.

I've got an HTPC which will be doing some upconverting, and eventually will have a HD or Bluray drive. Vid card is a NVIDIA 8500GT, HDCP compliant.

I want to take advantage of the output, so I'm guessing true 1080 is the way to go.

Looking at something around 37"

Needs to support 1080 over HDMI/DVI and preferably VGA as well (not one of these "it's only 1080p over component" specials).

Any suggestions?

· Registered
23 Posts
I have just bought a Samsung LE40M86BD 40" LCD and am very pleased with it. Excellent picture and superb black glossy surround and back.

Add to it 1080p over component, VGA and HDMI, 3 HDMI inputs, PC (D-SUB VGA) input, component and built in digital and analogue tuners.

I have a problem getting 1080p from my PC at the moment but I expect to have it solved soon enough. 1080p over HDMI from Blu-ray in my PS3 is just amazing.

At around £1,000 you would in my opinion be a fool to not consider this one.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards.

· Registered
294 Posts
honestly for a 37" you could save money and get a 720p. I highly doubt, as many "experts" say, you probably can't see a difference between 1080p and 720p < 50"

· Registered
74 Posts
I have a Sony Bravia KDL40-V2500, which is a 40" 1080p LCD display. The picture quality is great. Color balance and black levels are some of the best for LCDs. Some people complain about backlight clouding, but you can't even see it except when the screen is completely black and it's not very noticeable with the backlight turned down to normal levels anyway.

I sit about 5-6' away from this TV and I can definitely tell the difference between 1080p and 720p content. If I were sitting 10' away, I probably wouldn't, but the screen would be too small at that distance. In general, if you sit at a distance where the screen takes up a good chunk of your view, you will notice that 1080p is a sharper image, irrespective of the size of the display.

· Registered
4,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackjaniels /forum/post/0

I have just bought a Samsung LE40M86BD 40" LCD and am very pleased with it. Excellent picture and superb black glossy surround and back.

Add to it 1080p over component, VGA and HDMI, 3 HDMI inputs, PC (D-SUB VGA) input, component and built in digital and analogue tuners.

I have a problem getting 1080p from my PC at the moment but I expect to have it solved soon enough. 1080p over HDMI from Blu-ray in my PS3 is just amazing.

At around £1,000 you would in my opinion be a fool to not consider this one.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards.

I saw this set at best buy. they had it playing a bluray demo (watchmaking documentary) and it looked great, but the scene was very bright. How is it on dark material? how are black levels and shadow details.

· Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

I saw this set at best buy. they had it playing a bluray demo (watchmaking documentary) and it looked great, but the scene was very bright. How is it on dark material? how are black levels and shadow details.

That's always my concern on LCD's. Sony's are the best LCD's I've seen at handling low-light content. I checked out a Samsung and a Sony and the samsung had black blacks but it crushed the blacks... i.e. at the lowest levels all the subtle shades of gray became black.

That said, some folks in the flat panel forum were saying that it's just a matter of adjusting the samsung to get optimal performance.

· Registered
62 Posts
Flag99

To add to the confusion, you probably want to know if the HDMI is 1:1 or overscans. I just bought a Mitsubishi LT46131 last week after months of research. I was initially set on the XRB2 until I found out the 46131 were on sale for $1000+ less. In addition, the 46131 has DVI input that will give you 1:1 and 1080p.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
 Eyefi AVS Forum Thread

I have the 47" eyefi. I am running 1080p over DVI/HDMI with perfect 1:1 pixel mapping. It also accepts the 1080p over component put out by the xbox 360. I run everthing (except the xbox) through the HTPC so a 47" monitor was a better choice than a more expensive TV with built in tuners.

btw I am very happy with this setup. I am not sure about the VGA support as I have not used it. I believe it is discussed in the Eyefi forum thread.

· Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum /forum/post/0

Eyefi AVS Forum Thread

I have the 47" eyefi. I am running 1080p over DVI/HDMI with perfect 1:1 pixel mapping. It also accepts the 1080p over component put out by the xbox 360. I run everthing (except the xbox) through the HTPC so a 47" monitor was a better choice than a more expensive TV with built in tuners.

btw I am very happy with this setup. I am not sure about the VGA support as I have not used it. I believe it is discussed in the Eyefi forum thread.

I am glad you are happy.

Sub $3K for the monitor.

And Sharp Aquos 52" is $2449 from buydig.com as of today.

· Registered
847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter /forum/post/0

honestly for a 37" you could save money and get a 720p. I highly doubt, as many "experts" say, you probably can't see a difference between 1080p and 720p

i would agree with this statement

i have a 40inch xbr and wish i woulda bought a 46" or higher when viewing 1080p hd-dvd's...the image is spectacular, but on 40" when sitting 8-9 feet away u cannot view the sharp details that i see when viewing it from 2-3 feet away...

although, in my case, i use my 40" as my computer monitor as well and is definitely worth goin 1080p if doing both.

oh and the xbrs are 1:1 pixel perfect over dvi->hdmi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.