AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just idle curiocity, but are there any sets out there which actually have the full 1080i-spec 1920x1080 resolution natively without requiring a scaler of some sorts?

TIA,

Ross.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, but they are in prototype form; meaning its not on the market.....yet.

52" LCD and 71" Plasma from LG.

54" LCD and 70" Plasma from Samsung.

I believe all these panels have 1080P native resolutions, rather than 1080i.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice :) Those 70+" sets - are they the ones that apparently appeared at the big show over there recently?

Also - is the a "specifications guide for dummies" page somewhere which would explain the differences between 1080i vs 1080p and other such stuff?

I seem to be having a touch of brain-fade on all the different standards :) I haven't been into the HT scene for about 3 years but the tech has moved on quite a bit since then...

Thanks again,

Ross.

·
Registered
453 Posts
anyone have the scoop on the pany TC-32LH1 (shown at Cedia). I really hope this LCD was 30"(+) that's finally 1080i...I've been holding off buying the NEC 30" specifically because I have a gut feeling a 1080 HD set's arrival is immanent!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
melechmet- you mean 1080p? There's been 22-24" screens with 1920x1200 resolution for a year or two now. 1080i would require ~1440x540. The current 30" screens I've seen are all 1280x768.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The Panasonic is 1280 x 720.

(edited, because apparently these are the correct numbers....)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Doug -

How did you calculate 1080i would need 1440x540. I thought the spec was 1920x540 ?

CG
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
melechmet- you mean 1080p? There's been 22-24" screens with 1920x1200 resolution for a year or two now. 1080i would require ~1440x540. The current 30" screens I've seen are all 1280x768.

·
Registered
845 Posts
What kind of math are you guy's doing

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
Yes, but they are in prototype form; meaning its not on the market.....yet.

52" LCD and 71" Plasma from LG.

54" LCD and 70" Plasma from Samsung.

I believe all these panels have 1080
P native resolutions, rather than 1080i.
There are more announcements coming from at least 2 manufacturers in this size before the end of year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex, any chance you could point me in the right direction for a heads-up on those announcements? Feel feel free to PM me if you'd prefer...

TIA,

Ross.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I'm still trying to find out the correct specs for 1080i vs 1080p - any help you guys can point me towards please?

Ross.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by melechmet
There are more announcements coming from at least 2 manufacturers in this size before the end of year.
Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Seriously, that's quite a bombshell, Alex.

I had no hints from CEDIA so I'm now very curious!

Mark

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
1440X540 doesn't make sense?

Just guessing here but in a fixed pixel format the i (interlaced) and p (progressive) need the same number of pixels to properly display? The only difference is how it is displayed. Interlace displays 1 frame over two interlaced fields while progressive displays the entire frame in one full field.

In other words whether it is 1080i or 1080p you still neet 1920X1080 pixel array to display it natively.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
here's something I think you all might find interesting

Look at samsung's website and their press releases for today

PressCenter/PressRelease/DigitalMediaNews/DigitalMediaNews_20030918_

0000014666.htm

(sorry its not letting me post, since I just registered... lurked here for a while though)

"NEW YORK - September 16, 2003 - Taking its leadership in consumer electronics one step further, SAMSUNG Electronics today exhibits the world’s first publicly displayed 70†Plasma Display Panel (PDP) television and at 54â€, the world’s largest Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display (TFT-LCD) television. Each of these models is first to offer 1080 progressive scan native format, the highest resolution available. On display today at the DigitAll Inspiration 2003 showcase, both devices boast the highest picture quality available worldwide.

The 70†PDP can be the center-piece of a high-end home theater or can be used in a corporate conference room for videoconferencing and presentations. It is the combination of the form factor and true high definition progressive scan format that breaks the industry standard for size and quality.

About the Displays

The 70†PDP delivers high-definition imaging from 2.07 million pixels (1920 x 1080 progressive scanning) ? a resolution twice the clarity of other models on the market today. SAMSUNG has also applied its proprietary Digital Natural Image engine (DNIe TM) image enhancement technology to ensure the highest quality possible image, resulting in 1,000 cd/m2 brightness and a 1,500:1 contrast ratio.

With its large screen and excellent picture quality, this 70†PDP TV delivers an entirely new viewing experience, offering realistic high definition imaging even in daytime settings.

SAMSUNG’s 54†TFT-LCD TV features a crisp, high-resolution image and excels in performance with its less than 12ms response time ? ensuring a smooth playback of even the most action-packed visual content. Also, the 1920 x 1080 resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio can accommodate future changes in high definition broadcasting. The image on screen is exceptionally vibrant, with brightness of 500 nits (cd/m2), contrast ratio of 800:1 and color temperature of 10,000 K.

These advanced features and unprecedented screen size, combined with TFT-LCD’s inherent crisp display characteristics, make this 54†TFT-LCD TV one of the most advanced display products available today.

SAMSUNG will also be showcasing its 56†DLP HDTV (HLN567W) and DLP-based DTV monitors. Employing Texas Instruments’ second-generation DLP™ technology, this large-screen “tabletop†HDTV is notable not only for its screen performance, but also for its affordable price..

The 70†PDP and 54†TFT-LCD are being showcased to highlight SAMSUNG’s vision and future direction as the premiere manufacturer of high end, high quality visual displays for the technology enthusiast. "

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"The 70†PDP and 54†TFT-LCD are being showcased to highlight SAMSUNG’s vision and future direction...."

As in, please do not confuse these with being products at this time.

It is noteworthy that the people that would buy / install these -- the CEDIA crowd -- were shown neither. Why? Because the CEDIA crowd is largely shown stuff they can actually expect to sell within the next year.

Also, it suggests that there might not be two traveling prototypes of either of these as at least the plasma was in Berlin at IFA a few weeks ago.

From the meaningless specs dept, if the plasma had its brightness cut in half, it'd have 1/2 the absolute black level of the LCD (just talking about the two they described here). This is not very meaningful, though, because they describe the LCD at 10,000K, where no sane person would want the color.

The plasma, by contrast, is probably not 1,000 cd/m2 after filtering, but a filter would cut both black and white equally, keeping CR the same. If you ran the LCD at 6500K, it's not clear what would happen to CR, but it's unlikely it'd be good -- usually calibration lowers CR quite a bit from the quoted spec.

The other odd statement in the release is "...make this 54†TFT-LCD TV one of the most advanced display products available today." It's not only not available today, it has no product number, AFAIK, no release date and, according to Sasmung, "highlight(s) SAMSUNG’s vision and future direction" not their present.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a year for both to reach the market from here.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Talk about scrupulously perusing the press release there rogo.

With melechmet's post, are we looking at another 1 - 2 year for those unidentified manufacturers too?

The 70" has a product model number: PS70X4H

BTW, the 70" plasma is scheduled to be out Q2 2004 worldwide and the 54" LCD Q4 2004 worldwide according to their website.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Unfortunately folks I'm in the clutches of the dreaded pieces of paper and my *limited* info is not CEDIA related whatsoever. As I said, it will most definitely happen in mid Q4. I was privy to no info on time to market on either merely about announcements, so I didn't feel the huge bombshell that much when I heard it (just a little giddy ;>). IMO, you should all expect it; since G6 and G7 plants are coming on line for a lot of established players. G7 tech in theory, of course, could potentially make glass substantially larger than 40/50+." nuff said; i apologize for being cryptic, but dems are the rules.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RBT
And I'm still trying to find out the correct specs for 1080i vs 1080p - any help you guys can point me towards please?

Ross.
not sure anyone is making digital panels that are natively interlanced, doesn't make sense-ergo 1080p.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
VBS, thanks :)... But I wonder about that model #, with the X and all, especially vs. their other plasma model #s. Hard to get too excited about something that is not going to be available until Q4 2004 (and perhaps not in quantity until into 2005). The plasma also seems far away to me, but closer. That product, however, is too big for me.

Alex, so we are talking LCDs is all you are saying?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.