Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I understand the fact that these players downsample the 192Khz dvd audio output to 96Khz for copy protection reasons but does anyone know if there will possibly be a hack in future to output the full resolution signal?

I ask this because my recently aquired Yamaha DSP-AZ1 apparently accepts a 192Khz input into it's coaxial digital inputs and it seems a shame to waste those high quality DACs.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to my Yamaha manual it says optical digital is limited to 96Khz but coaxial digital is not and can accept 192Khz.

I'm sure I have also seen this written elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
192kHz is actually downconverted to 48kHz. Right now there is no hack, and since the market is small for DVD Audio chances of players being hacked not to downsample are very low. There may be some DVD Audio discs from smaller record companies that do not have copy protection.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure?

According to my Yamaha manual it says optical digital is limited to 96Khz but coaxial digital is not and can accept 192Khz.
Yes, I'm sure. Does it specifically say 192kHz stereo? I would bet they are referring to the TOTAL bandwidth. If it can pass 192k stereo, it is incompatible with standard SPDIF.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discs which include CPPM encryption (just about all of those from the main labels) set the player to permit only CD quality (16 bit/ 48kHz) SPDIF digital outputs. It's a strict condition of the CPPM licence.

Only heavily encrypted digital outputs (with a matching approved and licenced de-encryption system in the receiver) are allowed if you wish to go to higher audio resolution. So far these have not been approved although certain ones are permitted in principle; so you have to use the analogue outputs.

John Dawson (Arcam)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.