AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been 20+ years since an upgrade and I already screwed up. I bought a retrosound head unit that is 4x50 rms, Polk DXi650's up front in the kick panels and Polk DXi690's in the rear deck. Very happy with the front speakers and I think they are rated for 60 Watt rms. According to Polk I have clipped my rear speakers, as they are now awful. Wasted $150 and seemed like this where expensive speakers did not match the head unit. The 690's are rated over 120? Watts rms. Need help to determine what to do with the rear. I like the fronts a lot and they fort where I previously had a hole. I'm thinking a sub maybe. I had a bazooka in the past and liked it in a hatchback and I know they are frowned upon at avs. I listen to rock , metal, jazz and like a tight bass. I appreciate the help. By the way the car is pretty loud too so I suppose I need power but not sure how much. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknutson /forum/post/20860280

Well it has been 20+ years since an upgrade and I already screwed up. I bought a retrosound head unit that is 4x50 rms, Polk DXi650's up front in the kick panels and Polk DXi690's in the rear deck. Very happy with the front speakers and I think they are rated for 60 Watt rms. According to Polk I have clipped my rear speakers, as they are now awful. Wasted $150 and seemed like this where expensive speakers did not match the head unit. The 690's are rated over 120? Watts rms. Need help to determine what to do with the rear. I like the fronts a lot and they fort where I previously had a hole. I'm thinking a sub maybe. I had a bazooka in the past and liked it in a hatchback and I know they are frowned upon at avs. I listen to rock , metal, jazz and like a tight bass. I appreciate the help. By the way the car is pretty loud too so I suppose I need power but not sure how much. Thanks.

I find it difficult to believe that the head unit destroyed your speakers. 2ways to destroy speakers.

1. Thermal power handling. think of the voice coil as a space heater. It handles X amount of power (watts) before you burn the coil.

2. Mechanical power handling. This pretty much is frequency dependent. This means that when playing lower frequencies at high volume you exeed the mechanical limits of your speaker. This causes physical damage to the speaker that can affect the sound.

As for clipping "your speakers"... You clip an amp. This can cause excessive heat to develope in your speakers but again, I highly doubt your head unit amp chip was able to do this. I could be wrong. I am unfamiliar with your head unit.

Now if you were maxing out the bass boost and driving around at max volume... Maybe... Then I would question the power handling of the speaker.

I would return them for replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are pretty much right!!!!! I ended up going with a alpine PDx-5 with Polk DB691 is back and a polk DB 1212 sub. Pretty awesome! The sub is rediculous. Now I just need to get a 4 speed so I can reduce engine/exhaust noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.