AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an overall 2.5k investment on my setup. (5.0 speakers, sub, receiver)

Setting aside 2k total for 5.1, thinking 1k 5.0 and 1k .1

I can play a little bit on the cash. Some decent subs are lower then 1k, so i am happy to go up on the 5.0 budge.

Then leaving about 500 for a receiver. But i wont worry about that until after I have my speakers picked out first. Then my sub, then my receiver.

My info...

20x25 room, 3 walls, open back wall/ or side wall depending on how i set it up.

90% movies / 10% music

xbox 360, ps3, play video games probably the most

I tend to listen loud

I am looking for the (get ready for the cliche' term) "best bang for the buck" system that will satisfy my needs. I am a noob in terms of audio stuff, this is going to be my first audio setup. I am, without question, overwhelmed with speakers. People are so crazy die hard fan boys of this and that, that I found it hard to deconvolute the relevant important information from fan boy overcompensation for their one love.

So I was hoping I could get it straight from people. Did you buy something and you are like, dang, i should have gotten that or you cry at night cause the sound wasnt what you expected?? Do you have 5k in speakers and feel you could match the audio quality with a now 1.5k budget? Do you just have suggestions to help a noob first timer out that wont sound like you married the wrong speakers and are fighting tooth and nail to make it seem like a knockout perfect 10 blonde by your side?

All joking aside, any help would be great. My first go at trying to pick out speakers led me to a SVS 5.0 Deluxe Multi-channel system with SCS-01(M) surrounds, which runs 4x SCS-01(M)s with an SCS-01 center. for under 1k.

·
Registered
69 Posts
please see my post in the thread entitled "good budget speakers/sub for $1k" about svs speakers. i have the sbs-01 5.1 set, and i honestly love it. i spent a long long time researching and auditioning and landed at these. i haven't had any buyer's remorse whatsoever. in fact, the more i listen to them, the more i'm incredibly impressed with them. and then when i think, jeez, i only paid $1k for these, i'm just blown away. i get happier and happier with them as time goes on.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If the majoirty of your listening habbits is HT related, you better get a sub! And thats an order. Your welcome in advance.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephion /forum/post/14250651

********** - Rocket Series speakers and MFW 15 sub for less than 2k...

+1

With that budget, this would be on the top of my list for a home demo.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Buy my speakers, and you will have more money to but towards a subwoofer...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14250645

If the majoirty of your listening habbits is HT related, you better get a sub! And thats an order. Your welcome in advance.

As I stated, I have set aside 2k for the 5.1 with 1k for speakers and 1k for sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickrand /forum/post/14250986

+1

With that budget, this would be on the top of my list for a home demo.

So how does a home demo work, do I have to have them come to my house and set up speakers and then invite like 100 people to my house to listen to them. Do they just send them and I send them back in a week. Do i go to some strange dudes house, crack open a beer, and chill out with his family while we blast through some movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life /forum/post/14251086

Buy my speakers, and you will have more money to but towards a subwoofer...

Ehh... what do you have? I was thinking to buy new though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens2423 /forum/post/14250639

please see my post in the thread entitled "good budget speakers/sub for $1k" about svs speakers. i have the sbs-01 5.1 set, and i honestly love it. i spent a long long time researching and auditioning and landed at these. i haven't had any buyer's remorse whatsoever. in fact, the more i listen to them, the more i'm incredibly impressed with them. and then when i think, jeez, i only paid $1k for these, i'm just blown away. i get happier and happier with them as time goes on.

Good to know. I first settled on these for a sub 1k budget. Then I looked at the AV123 x-mtm encore tower loudspeaker x4, and the matching encore center for about the same as the SVS system. Any comparison between those? (maybe i should read your thread first)

So for under 1k - SVS setup (no sub)

for the full budget - it suggested to go with the av123 rockets and M15

It would seem that the SVS SCS(M) 5.0 with a sub will be equiv in cost to the x=mtm encore setup with M15 from av123.

Keep it coming, i am reading and I will keep everyone updated as I approach a decision.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
AV123 Rocket sales was about a month and some days ago. I don't know if it is still on sale, you might have to call sales rep. to confirm. It was a great sale, Rocket RS850, Big Foot center, RS450 for under $2k.

Best way to audition ID is to go to their website and ask for an audition in your area. Second is to buy it from them and test drive it for 30 days and return them. Currently, AV123 will give you a full refund including shipping if you are not happy with any of their products.

Aperion Audio; another great ID company which will pay shipping both ways if you are not happy with their speaker as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts