AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well someone who is very smart scheduled the program guide data to have one show start at 9:59 and end at 11:00. So the show on a different channel that ialso want to record from 9:00 to 10:00 causes a conflict in my program guide the show from 9 - 10 has red dots, the show from 9:59 to 11:00 has grey dots. Will i get all of show #1 and 99.9% of show #2? or none of show # 2?

Also what happens if the program guide has dead channels, my cable box has the same program data, but is smart enough not to list it cause its just a re-broadcast, and it is actually dead blackness. Can i manually delete channels that dont work or even ones i dont pay for so that i never end up recording that " to order this channel call your cable company" message ........

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Show number two will not record. You'll need to resolve the conflict either by recording show number two on another machine or, if the show is on the same channel, pad show number one by 60 minutes.

Yes you can delete channels from your ReplayTV guide. I *think* that functionality is in Setup.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brucku
Will i get all of show #1 and 99.9% of show #2? or none of show # 2?
none of show #2 - schedule a manual recording (Menu/Manual Record) for 10:00 - 11:00.
Quote:
Can i manually delete channels that dont work
Yes, either from the Channel Guide - highlighlight a show on that channel, press Jump, Select then Remove Channel - or through Menu/Setup/Add or Remove Channels.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
RTV really needs to implement a "just record whatever it can" function to deal with these mini-conflicts.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
RTV really needs to implement a "just record whatever it can" function to deal with these mini-conflicts.
I CONCUR. This would help us around the 'supersize' a$$es at NBC, and the freeks at CBS trying to start everything one minute early...

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Yes! And the algorithm is REALLY simple:

1. If two shows conflict by less than 5 minutes then do not consider it a conflict.

2. Always allow the first show to finish recording and the second show to miss its first minute(s), because it is more annoying to miss the end of a show than the beginning.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
There's no reason it can't do what Mandrake2003 said. Conclusion: ReplayTV is taking kickbacks from the networks ;)

Might as well be!

cow

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
I CONCUR. This would help us around the 'supersize' a$$es at NBC, and the freeks at CBS trying to start everything one minute early...

John
It's NBC who has been doing the "one minute early" thing. Except that except for ER, none of the shows that are scheduled to start at XX:59 really start then -- there's just a minute of commercials.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The way i have been getting around is, Schedule one show using the guide and the second show via manual recording, This seems to work very well for me.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by traker1001
The way i have been getting around is, Schedule one show using the guide and the second show via manual recording, This seems to work very well for me.
that just leaves you with a guide full of 'MANUAL RECORD 02/02' garbage without show information.... ARRGH.

John

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
that just leaves you with a guide full of 'MANUAL RECORD 02/02' garbage without show information.... ARRGH.

John
true, but...

a guide full of 'MANUAL RECORD 02/02'garbage without show information Beats the hell out of having a guide full of Replay Channels that have show names (left colum) and dates/times in the past, but dont have any recorded shows in them due to 1min conflicts that are all because these dumbasses at the networks are trying to be cute (or whatever) rather than intelligent, and just stick to UTC.

The AVOIDANCE OF issues similar to this +/-1min crap was one of the reasons that UTC was invented in the first place, and, why it is accurate to 100 picoseconds (0.000 000 000 1 seconds) per day from day to day.

...which would be especially _nice_, since the ReplayTVs get their time-sync directly from a network/system of internet based timeservers - all of which ultimately look to a single authoritative master server/clock for determination of UTC. The authoritative master clock/timeserver IS tycho.usno.navy.mil ; which is the same master clock for the UTC feed to the TV networks...

...of course that's all too damn logical for a TV scheduling exec to grasp, and therefore, just another pipedream of reality...

Guess we just keep on hoping for the next software update to have Negative padding...

·
Registered
63 Posts
i too have looked for this end early as well as extend in the advanced part of scheduling. this seems like a very simple solution, more simple than the algorithmic break the conflict solution, tho that one would be more automatic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandrake2003

2. Always allow the first show to finish recording and the second show to miss its first minute(s), because it is more annoying to miss the end of a show than the beginning.
Good point, but I tend to think most shows I watch end like 3 minutes early. I'd prefer to miss the ad's and next week's preview as opposed to the beginning of another show. This is probably for dramas though, and I suppose comedies like to put some zingers at the end. So add Drama vs. Comedy to your "simple" algorithm. No use arguing about it, negative padding is and has been the answer. But replay prefers the "buy another replay" answer.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Taking my own "Negative Padding" comment above as an excuse to search and see if any new developments/threads have popped up since last year - I came across this old post from mcoletti

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post3231810

Global padding / clock adjustment

Well, I for one, would like to option of globally tweaking the RTV clock. When I record a regular (i.e. non-sports) shows I find that I always capture the tail end of the show plus two or three minutes of commercials. Every now and then, however, the recording seems to start 10-20 seconds after the beginning of the show. The biggest culprit here seems to be "The Simpsons".

I just wish the RTV software would allow a + or - tweak of the clock by up to a minute. I could then set my RTV clock ahead by about 20 seconds and guarantee that I'd always get the start of every show.

Which brings to mind an idea...

Anyone ever play around with flipflop's old "manual clock set" hack for the 2k/3k's on newer unit?

The Clock-Hack would permit a crude negative padding-ish ability, but it doesn't take too much imaganation to think of all the problems it could cause also...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I imagine altering the clock would be easy, If you monitor the nightly connection with the MS, You see a NTP request go through, So it would be possible to alter the clock via a simple NET command,

Problem number one this would mess with all shows scheduled on any channel, unless you changed it back as soon as the show started recording. Problem Two, As soon as it connected with the mothership, the clock would be set back to the correct setting, thus nulling out any changes to the clock. So to be of any use you would have to make the change every day. Lets not forget, Its not the RPTV that is off time, but the independant networks. Also i dont neccasarily think that networks do this intentionally, Having at one time working for a tv station, I can tell you trying to manage time slots for shows and commercials is like playing a very big game of advanced tetris.

I think the only true solve here is the negative time padding, Or giving us a edit time feature for selected to record shows (Something like Dish DVR receivers do)

·
Registered
287 Posts
This discussion highlights allot of potential reasons for them not doing it in the "original" software. There are divergent opinions on how to handle the conflict based on user preference, all of which I agree with. I write code, and I would have given the power users the ability to determine their priorities, but I am guessing that the algorithm is dicey enough now that they could not implement it.

I was all over them way back when I missed my first show due to a 1 minute conflict way back in the early days when this feature became available. I recommended that in the case of conflict, it always gave priority to finishing the first show, then start recording the second show. If show extender causes a conflict, still finish the first show.

At a bare minimum, however, it should at least record SOMETHING!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by traker1001
I imagine altering the clock would be easy, If you monitor the nightly connection with the MS, You see a NTP request go through, So it would be possible to alter the clock via a simple NET command,
Setting the clock yourself is harder than you'd expect. Redirecting the

NTP requests in not enough. Further on in the net connect sequence the

clock is reverified against the mothership clock with a signed response.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love to see the master Replay clock be adjusted 30 seconds ahead, so the start of all my shows wouldn't be cut off.....

And yes, better conflict resolution is needed.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by collin
Seems to do this just fine when you pull the feed... You'd figure they'd try the same logic with the recording conflicts. Just keep trying.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.