AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever tried "1shot" brand paint for the silver component of these paint mixes?

I was at a sign painting store yesterday getting some AutoAir aluminum base fine for my second attempt at a Canadian Grey screen (first was too uneven and my wall is too textured to have good results) and the guy at the store recommended this stuff. It was considerably cheaper than the autoair and he said it has a similar flake and hue. I bought it just because it was inexpensive (half the autoair) and I thought what the heck. Haven't tried it.

Also he recommended using a reducer for this sort of painting - is that a good or bad idea in people's experience? (I don't have a sprayer)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is 1shot a latex paint? I have not used reducers with the AutoAir stuff.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's enamel. It says " Sign Painters' 1shot lettering enamel"

Metallic Silver.

"Oil based high gloss enamel - superior flow characteristics eliminate brush marks"

I will try a sample on BO cloth - what I am going to use instead of my wall.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, unless you are some sort of oil based paint expert, there is NO way this stuff could possibly be useful.

I wasted $13 (reducer plus the paint). It was terrible and my whole house smells like turpentine now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unfortunately, oil based aluminum/silver and no sprayer......usually not a good combo.

The Auto Air paints are easy to use, clean up and don't stink too much. Hopefully, your second attempt will provide better results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.