AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hmm, the chipsets have no heatsinks in the picture. I wonder if they are still trying to figure out how they will passively (I assume) cool them with such little surface area to work with.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't even notice that. Surely they'd heatsink them. I am patiently waiting for this board (or any mini itx 780g board with a x1 PCIe slot). With this board, the Asus HDAV1.3 soundcard, and a nice little case you would have a hell of a high end BluRay player for not that much. Plus, power consumption is going to be minimal. It'll be good to see what the G45 offers on paper and how that plays out in the real world.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If there is no heatsink on the chipsets, I would stay away from this mb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Renethx, your one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. OBVIOUSLY there will be a heatsink. It would last all of what, a minute w/o one? Maybe your being sarcastic and I'm missing it?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14295711

Never take anything for granted. I think renethx was issuing a valid warning.

Oh please. No business/engineering group is that stupid to design a motherboard that will fail almost instantly.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
If they sell it as an accessory, it means that they are selling the motherboard without a heatsink on the chipset.

Going by their own product pictures, it would be safe to assume there is no heatsink. We'll have to wait until someone gets one or a review is posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
heard it'll cost about hk$1199

Only thing is which mini itx case to be used? Preferably with internal PS, cdrom, VFD and maybe card reader....

·
Registered
7 Posts
heard it'll cost about hk$1199

Only thing is which mini itx case to be used? Preferably with internal PS, cdrom, VFD and maybe card reader....

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14293871

If there is no heatsink on the chipsets, I would stay away from this mb.

In the photos above it says sample stage board. probably just to let you look under the hood so to speak.

Here is an image of it installed and running. Yes it has a heat sink.

more info here .

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14305477

$180???

Space isn't that much of a premium for me.

That's actually "reasonable" for a mini-itx board. The Intel G45 mini-itx board is streeting at about $140. I've seen some around $300!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Isn't it closer to $150? For a mini-itx, I'd say that's about my limit. Now, hopefully, we'll also start seeing more SFF HTPC cases.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So.. is the 780G chipset supposed to be the all in one answer to all the problems and glitches we have been seeing with HTPC's? IE, full HD Audio, etc...

All I care about is uncompressed 5.1 over LPCM and component video, preferably 1080p component.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts