AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been a computer builder for some time now and am about o enter the AV realm of building. I want to build a non MCE system, prolly going to use SageTV as the main software. I have been doing alot of research on compatibility, needs and other ideas. Please look over my build specs and let me know what you think. (Items in green are already purchased, Items in red are next to be bought (like this week))

Case: Zalman HD160XT Plus
Motherboard: P5W DH Deluxe
Proccessor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Memory: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB Caviar RE2

1TB Caviar RE2

1TB Caviar RE2
Optical Drive: BD,HDDVD,DVD,CD Burner
Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800
Video Card: Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB
Power Supply: Rocketfish 750w
Audio Reciever: Harmon Kardon AVR-276
Speakers: Klipsh 5.1 Quintet SL system
DirecTV Reciever: ?? Need to know whats the best HD reciever that can be controlled via serial ??
Display: Sharp 52" Aquos LCD
Controler Card: VSCOM Dual Serial Port Card PCI
Keyboard/Mouse: GO PRO 2.4GHz Optical Air Mouse and Compact Keyboard
Remote: Harmony 550 Advanced

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why spend big bucks on a small, loud, and hot drive like a Raptor? Yes, the OS will boot a few seconds faster, but most consider it a bad tradeoff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I see your point. I am used to building gaming machines and have not had to worry about noise. Price is not a problem as I have a budget of 6k for everything but furniture.

So you would just use the TB drives for OS and storage? Or would you still use a seprate HD for the OS, just not a raptor?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wow, another enthusiast with $6K to burn on an HTPC...

j/k vex, I won't bother repeating myself--if you want to know my initial response, you can read this thread . I'll just add a couple specific comments:

I use and love my Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard. It's bluetooth, rechargeable, and has an integrated touchpad. I'm typing on it now from almost 20' away from my HTPC. And the touchpad is actually usable for anything short of strafing in HL2... In addition, Logitech just intriduced some "mini" keyboard at CES that might be even cooler. Just something to check out. And the Harmony 550? Kind of low-end? I might suggest the 880 at the very least, and why not step up to the 890 or 1000 for built-in RF? (or any other manufacturer--I'm not trying to sell you on Logitech, by any means...)

On the HD, definitely go with cool and quiet in the case, you'll be happy you did. And if money is really not a concern, start investigating a nice NAS to go in a closet somewhere. I suggested this in that other thread, but it is so key that I figured it merited another mention.

Lastly, I would definitely go with a 3850 over a 2600, if money were not the primary consideration. Or better yet, wait another week or so for the 3650--should be performance and price similar to the 2600XT, but on 65nm--a lot cooler and more energy efficient...

That's all. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say 6k, that includes TV, Reciever, Speakers,Cables,and then of course the HTPC itself.

The HTPC is on a third of that total budget.

The LCD TV is over 2k by itself.

(your link is broken FYI)

I would consider A closet Storage config, but alas I have no room (for now) When we finish building the house, I will definatly have it remote with my servers.

As for video, I was checking out the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI board.

Any tidbits of knowledge about this board? Would it be sufficient for the two outputs I am using

HDMI---52" HD LCD

VGA----7" Case monitor

·
Registered
465 Posts
I realized that $6K was for more than just the HTPC, but if you read that other thread, maybe you can see why my opening line sounded funny to me at the time...
(btw, I fixed the link--there was just an extra http:// in there...)

As for the NAS, if you had no plans to move into a house, then maybe I could see not doing it. But you even KNOW you are going to be in a house, and still don't think a centralized storage device is a MUST???? Dude, wrong answer!
You can buy a decent NAS enclosure for a few hundred--much better spent there than on, for example, a 7" touch screen you will rarely use (imho)--ok, ok, it does look cool, and if that's what you want--GET IT! The HTPC case is not my point. The utter usefulness of a NAS, however, is. And with that kind of budget, mark my words, you will kick yourself if you don't do it. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to go in a closet, but the beauty of it is that it CAN...

As for that mobo, I will tell you that I think you are on the right track, but for the "tidbits", you'll get way more in the G35 mobo thread than I could ever hope to duplicate here... I know that it has VGA and HDMI, but I don't know if they can both be used simultaneously. I would guess yes, but that thread (or another poster) would likely have a more definitive answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts