AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my first experience with DIY but it is the first time I have done a build thread. My experience is very limited but I like to lurk and learn which I have been doing for about 7 years on here now. About 7 years ago I purchased a complete 7.0 JBL L series system and a H/K receiver all from the ebay store. The mains were the big L890's, center was the LC2, and the four surrounds were the L820's. I almost pulled the trigger on the matching subwoofer but found this place instead. I ended up buying a Shiva 12 from Kevin and building a ported sonotube sub. I have lurked here ever since and have learned quite a bit.

We are building a new home and the area where the theater equipment is going will not work with the big towers. This was the opportunity I needed to get rid of the JBL's. To be honest they never impressed me very much. I even upgraded to an Onkyo 709 receiver a few years ago thinking that more power would bring them alive and it was better, but still not what I expected. All I read on these threads about the dynamics and punch of these speakers everyone is building is what I desired and what I felt like the JBL's lacked.

After spending days upon days on the DIYSG site I decided on the Fusion 8 Alchemy. I really wanted to get something bigger but the space just wouldn't allow it. My mains and center will be sitting atop a row of 30" high cabinets with the tv hanging above it. I also wanted the 3 fronts to be the same if possible. I figured sitting on top of the cabinets the 17.5" height of the Alchemy's would put them at a good height for when we are seated on the couch.

Enough history, on to the building. First off I will echo everyone's reviews of the packaging. Great job Erich! No way were these things getting damaged. Took a good 20 minutes to upack and lay everything out. My order was for 3 of the Fusion 8's, 3 flat packs, and 3 pre-assembled crossovers.

I ran over to Harbor Freight and picked up some clamps ($1.99 with coupon). Grabbed some Titebond 2 and some silicon sealer from the store. I am building these in my office before and after work because the wife doesn't know I bought them. I haven't sold the JBL's yet but couldn't wait to get started! I started with the bracing and did one at a time because I didn't buy enough clamps to do all of them which I should have at that price! The house is just being framed so I am not in a hurry. Everything fit together perfectly. I assembled the cabinets all but the baffle then mounted the crossovers. I was not sure on the best place to mount them so I just put them down low on the right side of the woofer?? I just cut four little pieces of the foam the compression driver was packed in and glued it to the four corners of the crossover then glued the crossover in the enclosure.

Then I went to Walmart and picked up a cheap foam mattress topper and some plumbers putty. I used one tub (per speaker) of plumbers putty to cover the back side of the waveguide. I remembered reading one time that it helps deaden the waveguide. I cut up the topper and lined the walls with it. Then i painted it black in the back on the bottom just in case you could see the back through the ports. Next was gluing the baffles. I struggled a little to get them lined up and clamped down without them moving but I finally got it pretty good. It would have been nice to have more than 4 clamps for this step. I tried using the woofers for extra weight in the middle.

I decided to use Duratex to finish them so I ordered from Parts Express. I got the quart size bag. I also ordered binding posts because I forgot to get them from Erich on my original order. I decided to get smoother foam roller than the one they send with the Duratex. I wanted a smoother finish without much texture. I applied two coats on a Saturday morning only allowing about an hour between coats. I forgot that befor the Duratex I sanded, spackled, and sanded some more. I used a cheap palm sander with 80 grit to smooth out the edges. I do notice that it is a little streaky in the right light. Not sure if I need another coat or if the smoother foam roller caused it?? If anyone has advice on this I would love to hear your thoughts.

Installing the speakers went very well and didn't take much time at all. I gotta admit, at this point I was getting a little anxious to hear these things. I almost couldn't wait to hear what everyone raves about. My receiver was packed away so all I had was a little Phillips micro system in my office to hook them up to. I did and what happened I could not believe. On this little micro stereo these speakers filled my office with sound. I found my self just in awe of how they sounded. Keep in mind this was on top of my metal file cabinet with the speakers well above optimum height.

Well, I sold my JBL's and had to get them out of storage so I grabbed my Onkyo and brought it to the office and hooked it up to two of them. I cannot believe how good these sound. I am only able to listen in two channel mode. I just have them in stereo mode with everything turned off like audyssey and dynamic eq. I can't wait to get the house done now so I can properly set them up.

I am far far from a professional but I have heard a lot of speakers over the years. I can tell you from the little I have heard these they are the best I have ever heard. They would absolutely mop the floor with my JBL L890 towers. Clean, clear, dynamic, and so easy to listen to even at high volume! I am very impressed to say the least.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very nice read, and timeline of events. The speakers look great. You have made we want to go this route even more now. I should probably finish my second sub before diving into this though, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Excellent presentation and ,even better, results

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words. I would advise anyone who is on the fence about ordering just to do it. I find myself coming in early to work just to have a listen before everyone gets in. I have listened for a few hours now with some of that being at a pretty high volume. They sound better and better to me every day. I don't know if it's just my happiness or if they are getting broken in??

I am not very savvy on posting, especially with the pictures so sorry if some can't view them. I just loaded them into a folder on my desktop them dragged and dropped them in the drag and drop area. Let me know if there is a better way and I will try to reload them. They appear when I look at this thread as thumbnails.

I am about ready to place another order. I held off on ordering the volt-6's for my surrounds because I was undecided on whether to just get in-ceilings for looks or to get the volts. After building and spending time listening to these Fusion 8's I will 100% be ordering the volts. I am that happy with them! I just wish I wouldn't have wasted the past few years trying to get the JBL's to sound how I wanted.

In fact, I will be ordering 4 of the volt-6's so I can put some out on the back deck. I don't believe they have the pre-assembled crossovers so I may need some help when the time comes. I have soldered plenty on the kid's r/c cars but nothing audio related yet.

Also in the plans for the new house is a IB sub with 4 18's in a manifold. I think I can convince the boss to let me because she hated the 24" diameter sonotube that we used to have! I just told her that she won't even be able to see the sub this time! I am planning on using the SI 18's just because of their incredible value. Will they perform ok in an ib? I thought I had read where people were using them?

·
Registered
261 Posts
After you have attached the images just open up the picture in a full size window, copy the url, and then click the "Insert Image" button (the one with a mountain and yellow background)...

That ends up with [ IMG]http://some.nice.url[/IMG ] (I added spaces in the IMG tag name so it didn't try to load it as an image).

And then it displays like this:

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
After you have attached the images just open up the picture in a full size window, copy the url, and then click the "Insert Image" button (the one with a mountain and yellow background)...

That ends up with [ IMG]http://some.nice.url[/IMG ] (I added spaces in the IMG tag name so it didn't try to load it as an image).

And then it displays like this:

Or use tapatalk and it takes 10 seconds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts