1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, made the plunge, got a RCA UTV unit. I think I baffled it with

something fairly simple and it crashed. A show was recording in

the PIP window, I stopped it, the PIP window went black, system

reset. Early observations (came loaded with software version 3.0)

(Comparisons w/ Tivo are ref to Sony SAT-T60 DTivo unit)

Slower menu's than Tivo

Faster program guide than Tivo

Remote cant be too far away

No obvious way to disconnect from WebTV, quickly anyway

Tuners seem to be much better than Tivo's, picture looks terrific

Search system sucks compared to Tivo (should be able to just type 'fra'

not 'frasier')

Season Pass, or whatever UTV calls it, lousy (I want once a week, first run episodes of a show, it will record them all)

FF/RW is pretty good, 30sec skip? Dont see myself using it much

Cant comment yet on Interactive, anyone use it? Available much?

Wasted outlets on front

No obvious way to 'make system call now' for upgrades or program guide.

Customizing channel guides way better than Tivos

No obvious way to NOT show live tv (sporting event you recorded) while in My Shows, giving away the game, or ending to movie you are recording.

Too many buttons to change receivers

No quick way to get back to Live TV ('Go Live' is not always lit after hitting Menu like the manual says)

I like the remote, almost identical to my Proscan TV's remote, runs all its menus.

This all after only a couple hours use, I've gone through the entire manual and every menu, at least I think I have. Aint a retard, even with its shortcomings, and there are many, I'm going to keep it.

Someone said that Tivo owners are in love or something with their units, well, from what I see there's a reason - far superior. I played with my parents Dish501 for a few days (they cant get Directv where they live) and while it sucked the most, UTV is only a little ahead of it. It was cheaper than a dual A/V output Directv unit, which I needed anyway, the dual tuner and PVR are just gravy. Lumpy and runny as that gravy is. I guess I can

always auction it on eBay for the $200-$300 people are getting on there for the same unit (dont have to keep Total Choice for 12mos).

Now to find a cheap keyboard, which shouldve been included.

Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to UTV SeeAndAvoid...

I'll add what I know, and am sure others will fill in the rest or correct me.

Very first thing though - version 3.0 is not that great. You want 3.5, which will get delivered to you via satellite. To check if you are scheduled for an upgrade, go to the HOME screen, then go to SETTINGS, select SYSTEM TEST, then SYSTEM INFO, UPGRADES, and look for the NEXT UPGRADE line. Hopefully you will see that 3.5 is either scheduled to come down to you or maybe you even got it before I had a chance to reply.

Quote:
Slower menu's than Tivo
While I do not own a Tivo, I can tell you that menus are MUCH faster after the 3.5 upgrade.

Quote:
Remote cant be too far away
I think that may be more the angle you are sitting at than the distance. I can use mine from the kitchen, which is around 30 feet from the UTV inthe family room without any problems.

Quote:
No obvious way to disconnect from WebTV, quickly anyway
When connected, press the MENU/OPTIONS button on the remote and an on screen sub menu will appear. Hang Up is one of the options.

Quote:
Search system sucks compared to Tivo (should be able to just type 'fra' not 'frasier')
Just tried this with 3.5 and still didn't get frasier. I'll mess with this one a little more. Doesn't seem to be the implied wild card (*) like I expected.

Quote:
Season Pass, or whatever UTV calls it, lousy (I want once a week, first run episodes of a show, it will record them all)
3.5. No repeats f eature.

Quote:
FF/RW is pretty good, 30sec skip? Dont see myself using it much
My wife and I use the 30 second skip ahead and the 7 second rewind constantly. Although I will end up in jail for admitting it, it is fantastic for commercial skipping.

Quote:
Cant comment yet on Interactive, anyone use it? Available much?
too spolied by broadband. Interactive might a ctually be useful if it was at more than 56k.

I'll let others comment on the rest. I do think 3.5 will improve your experience though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.