AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money is rather tight, though I pray will be opening up soon (if I ever get employed).

When I actually did make money, we bought a Hitachi 60SX12B, which we loved (for the last 12 or so years) until it done died. We therefore have the huge pier cabinet structure that I also bought to surround said set, and intend to somehow make the new set aesthetically fit into the space (with a little extra wood-working on my part).

I have been reading about plasma vs lcd, 1080 vs 720, Vizio, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Magnavox and a host of others (I refuse to ever buy Sony again if I can help it as they are the Nazis of electronics).

My wife is the primary watcher, usually in low ambient light (how nice it would be if they made a set that would NOT receive that LifeTime garbage).

I don't want to make the mistake of not buying technology that we will use more in the future, but presently we watch all SD - of course, not having a hd set might have influenced this...

I think the choices are down to the 47" Vizio lcd, a Panasonic 50" plasma and a Sanyo 50" plasma, but that is strictly from cram research over a few days and somewhat limiting the stores to local that we could return to if need be, and from the choices I believe you can pretty well identify those stores (I do not recall if board policy prohibits naming stores in this area and as being new, I am hesitant to chance violating policy).

I HATE gambling this much money, even though it is but a third of the previous set's cost, and really, really appreciate all guidance from you folks.

btw, if you have a vested interest in one of these companies, please give me a break and don't push me toward your product; this is a decision I am going to have to live with for some time to come - I appreciate your understanding.

Is there a clear choice? Are there any other factors I should take into consideration?

I greatly appreciate you help!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I know this isn't a financial board or anything like that but If I were in your shoes, I would put off looking for a big screen TV until things are financially a little more stable and you have a steady income. The amount you want to spend could come really in handy for much more usefull needs for you and your family besides a TV.

What I would do is just bite the bullet and get a CRT tv, yes they are still available, CC and Best Buy sell the Samsung Tru Flat and Wal-Mart sells an RCA Flat screen CRT. You can get these for less than $400. They are both 27 inches and will fill the void for now until you get backon your feet.

I know this isn't what you want to hear nor again is this a financial advice board but that's what I would do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you and would MUCH rather put it off if solely on economics, but my wife is on the warpath. I have put this off for some time now as the other set actually died a little over a year ago. I am afraid it is a "peace keeping" move on my part. The light at the end of the tunnel is that we recently moved from the economical armpit (another analogy would have been more accurate, but I will save that one for the governor of the state we moved from) of the nation to a state with a good economy, so all is not bleak...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
She would be upset if you came home with a CRT? Wow!!! I'm not saying in the future not to go out and get a nice LCD or Plasma but the Samsung Dyna Flat's are actually pretty nice and it they are quite slim for a CRT and have that flat panal look.

I would say bring her to your nearest Circuit Cityand show her that one and go from there. And when you get back on your feet you can just throw that TV in the bedroom to make room for the new BIG one.

Giving what you have told us that is probably the wisest route to go. But seriously go check out that Samsung . the last thing you want to do is regret spending over a $1000 on a TV when life can throw more than one curve ball at you at time.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I listed all the curve balls I have been thrown in the last 9 years, you wouldn't believe it. At this point, something that goes right for me is a curve ball and I have learned NEVER to think "What else can go wrong?", for life has repeatedly proven that there is always something. Certainly stating that much puts me in the "whiny brat" category in many eyes, yet I say this now as a matter of fact, and perhaps warning for others. Life is amazing; sometimes it is great to just take a break in the stupidity and alternative of losing one's self in that which we now have on TV. I have crossed the threshold and have to admit I am no longer young, but I ain't dead yet. I recall waiting in anticipation for a program one of the three major networks was going to have on at some point in the future; where the whole family would get together for the event - how my father used to mess with us with the first generation of remotes on our b&w Zenith that used two pieces of metal striking together to set out an audible signal to the TV to change the channel or turn it on & off. How we can have a gazillion channels now and not find something of value on one of them sometimes is pretty amazing, but then, we now have VCR, DVD and DVR to cover that gap, and if not, I can connect my camcorder with built-in hard drive to the set and reminisce in my family's past. So, you see, the TV has more value than what appears on the surface. Kind of like sleep, it gives us a chance to retire from the real world for a bit and in some respects recharge, and so some expense is warranted, though on the surface appearing frivolous. And if it keeps my wife from biting my head off, all the better (except for the afore cited LifeTime programming garbage where every guy is either a grossly feminine whimp or a woman beater).

Proved myself pretty well insane, hunh? Anyway, that is why. I will shut up now except for one comment - if you find yourself making a lot of money at any point in time, force yourself to save a lot of it, and by "a lot" I mean a 150% to 200% of what you might consider a lot. The novelty of owning a big house and rather fancy cars wears off, then one of those giant meteor sized "curve balls" along with a train of others might follow and you will find yourself as batty as I - and when you have a flock of daughters, you can't rightly just run away... I will put away my soap box now.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
the loving memories you have of your family gathering around the TV I'm sure didn't include a 47 inch. tv. I'm willing to be bet it was like a 19 or 20 inch and everybody was happy.

I do understand your frustration and the wanting of " Ok I'm tired of being down on my luck and want to live a little, like everyone else and have that one extra nice thing in life" You can have it. It's just picking the right time to get it. Please dont' take this equation the wrong way because there is no sarcasm intended but :

no job + no income coming + major luxury purchase = very bad move

Now I don't know what your savings is, your emeregency fund is etc, and it's not place to give you advice on your financial spendings. BUT again if you could just hold off on making the big purchase until you are settled a bit, you will be EXTREMELY happy you did down the line in the future.

The TV I recommended is no slouch by any means, it's a very nice stylish TV and 27 inches is no slouch in size. No it's not a huge 47 inch but it will suit your family just fine and gives off a great picture. Besides what you've said in first post is that you don't have HD and watch mostly SD, which this set would be great for besides I don't even think Lifetime even airs in HD

But you are going to do what you feels is best and I too will get off my financial advice soap box as well, that's not the intention of this board. But I do hope you make the wise financial decision and I wish the best of luck to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't comment on your financial situation... but of the tv's you listed the panasonic plasma seems like the best choice.

I'm waiting for the 50" px80 to go on sale and will be getting one soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it seems like a great time to buy 720p plasmas right now. My parents have a 50" samsung 720p and are extremely happy with it. DVDs, HD, SD programming all look great on it. I really like the Panasonic plasma's especially the new style. Plasma's IMO look the most like a CRT and that's what most people want. The best way to pick out a tv is to find a price range you're comfortable with then decide with your eyes. There are some killer deals on big DLPs too;-) As far as finances go...you only live once, why watch a small screen?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If your wife likes Lifetime, which is still 4:3, don't go plasma. She will wreck it or hate it watching it stretched with everybody looking like they gained 100 pounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts