AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying the gateway dlp this Thursday. Its my first hdtv. I am currently a dish network customer, but I don't want their HDTV until they come out with the PVR model. What do I need in the meantime to get local HDTV?

Also, I have a tuner and a DVD player (like everyone). Should I run component cables from both to the TV, or should I run the tuner with S voder or optical cable? What is best?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You need an HDTV tuner. If you don't have an HD tuner, then you will not get HD on your new TV. If you want HD local channels, then you need an OTA HD tuner, and an antenna (probably on your roof).

If your DVD player is progressive scanning, then you want to use a component cable. This will give you 480p picture (not HD).

FYI: I've heard horrible things about the Gateway TVs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by m_nieft
I am buying the gateway dlp this Thursday. Its my first hdtv. I am currently a dish network customer, but I don't want their HDTV until they come out with the PVR model. What do I need in the meantime to get local HDTV?

Also, I have a tuner and a DVD player (like everyone). Should I run component cables from both to the TV, or should I run the tuner with S voder or optical cable? What is best?
1) E* has offered the 921 (their HD PVR) for awhile now. Whether you can actually *get* one or not is another subject. But it's out.

2) Visit antennaweb to see what's available OTA in your area, and what type of antenna you will need.

3) Yes. You should use the component cables. I'm not familiar w/the Gateway DLP, but if it has a digital connection (DVI) then you would want to use the DVI connection for your OTA tuner or your E* HD tuner, whichever you end up with. (Optical cable carries, as far as we're concerned, audio not video)

Brian (use the search function here...it's your friend)

·
Registered
131 Posts
OH, IC you are looking at the DLP rear projection. I don't actually know anything abou them. I heard many bad things about the Gateway plasmas displays.

Just curious, but why would you go with somebody who is a beginner in the TV market? Sounds like you're dropping some good bread on the set. Why not consider something more mainstream like Sony, Toshiba, or Samsung? Just curious.

I love my Toshiba rear-projection and will probably consider a Toshiba again when I move this one to the basement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad -

I might end up with the Sony 50" Wega LCD. Circuit City offered me one last night for $2700. Originally priced at $3299. They are running a special for $2969, but they had one open box for $2700. I'm looking at the gateway dlp tomorrow and will make my choice.

Price is the main reason for looking at gateway. I am not an HDTV expert, so the difference between the sammy 50" and gateway 55" might not be anything to my rookie eyes. We'll see.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.