AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm drooling over the Recession Buster 2 kit from Madisound for $60 as an easy first attempt at DIY speakers, but...

I've seen the thread over at HTGuide about an improved crossover for $50-$60 more. That leaves me wondering and on the fence; which is a better value

A) Madisound's "Recession Buster 2" kit for $60 plus an improved crossover for $50-$60 more (~$120 total)

or

B) Parts Express' "Recession Destroyer" kit for $120

Given these are so close in price, which would you recommend?

Alternatively, is the Recession Buster with stock crossover good enough for a relative noob?

Or, is there something else at or near this price range that I should consider?

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
Good question and one I am also interested in the answer to...Are the "premium" crossovers really that different in the overall SQ of the Madison package??? Also what speakers do either kit compare to???

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/16964258

There is also the Trixtrix kit which is on sale right now at PE.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-700

Plus you can buy pre-cut CNC cutouts of the cabinets for less than a $100 bucks as well.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-701

I would take the Tritrix over the other two but that's just IMO.

Wow, that's $100 for 2 cabinets. I'd pay $30 for a sheet of MDF and then have to put it on the saw, CNC and then touch it up. For this price I can't see myself building the boxes. I like that Tritrix kit and I'll have to keep it in mind. $250 for a pair of towers...that's what I paid for my Energy C-300's. hmmmm.....

·
Registered
944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_puiu /forum/post/16964049

Indignia.

Karma Indignia:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=160535

1000+ posts and 50,000+ views.

The requisite links are in Post #1.

We're up to S/N 38; see them all at the "Member Projects" link....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_puiu /forum/post/16964049

I'm drooling over the Recession Buster 2 kit from Madisound for $60 as an easy first attempt at DIY speakers, but...

I've seen the thread over at HTGuide about an improved crossover for $50-$60 more. That leaves me wondering and on the fence; which is a better value

A) Madisound's "Recession Buster 2" kit for $60 plus an improved crossover for $50-$60 more (~$120 total)

or

B) Parts Express' "Recession Destroyer" kit for $120

Given these are so close in price, which would you recommend?

Alternatively, is the Recession Buster with stock crossover good enough for a relative noob?

You might want to double check, but I believe (and might be wrong) the improved crossover was designed for the original recession buster kit, and the RB 2 kit uses a different tweeter....

I know the stock crossovers for the 2 RB kits are different...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, the tritrix is the "Recession Destroyer" from PE.

Also, I wasn't referring to Madisound's premium crossover, which appears to be the same design with higher grade components. I was referring to an individual's custom designed, *improved* crossover - but alas, alphaiii seems to be correct that the xover I read about at HTguide is for the RB 1 kit - not this RB2 kit with a different tweeter. Maybe he or someone else will come up with a better xover for this kit - but that's not an option at the moment.

So my options now seem to be A) RB2 for $60 (was $200?) + boxes vs B) RD/tritrix for $120 + boxes.

Is there a concensus on which one of these is the better value?

With either choice, there seems to be some very affordable premade boxes that will make me hardpressed to build my own - even though that is where I really expected to save money going the DIY route. Don't get me wrong, I still think both these kits offer great value compared to commercial offerings. Don't they?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
What do you plan on using either design for? If these are to me your main L-R than I would go for the Tritrix. If they are for surrounds or computer speakers then go with the RB's.

You can also find the information on Curt's webpage for the Tritrix so you can make a matching center channel.

James

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The room/use would depend on which one I build. That's not a very helpful answer, but I'm mostly interested in getting my feet wet and experiencing first hand how any of these diy solutions compare to commercial offerings.

I have a very large theater room (4600 cubic feet). I don't know if either would be able to hang in that room as mains, but maybe as surrounds?

Another option, at least for the smaller RB2 kits would be on-wall in the bedroom.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I guess it really depends on how much want to try out. The reason I say that is with the RB2'S, you really only need to make the cabinets and hook the wires from the crossover to the drivers and terminal cup (since the crossovers comes pre made). For the Tritrix, you will need to build the cabinets, solder the components to make the crossover and then wire them to the drivers and terminal cup.

James

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you are really interested in the DIY side of things, you may want to do the Tritrix instead of the RB kit. The RB crossover is pre-built so you won't get to do that. With the tritrix you get all of the components, but need to build the crosover. To me it's a good learning experience building the crossover.

Edit: I must really be slow at typing. Exojam beat me by 5 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts