Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Version:

I'm considering my first projector. Given my living room's setup, I don't have good control over the ambient light (windows on either side of where the screen will be). However, I'll only need to project onto a 65" screen (placed in the media bay above the fireplace). What kind of brightness do I need to target given the lighting conditions and a relatively small screen?

Long Version:

What recommendations do you guys have for projectors? I've been looking at the BenQ 6200. I would like to have 1280x720, but I'm thinking I'll have to sacrifice resolution to get brightness while staying in my price range (~1500USD but possibly up to 2000-2500USD). TV will come via a cable STB w/ HD on the available channels. DVD movies will be played via an HTPC w/ scaling up to the projector's resolution. Both will be connected via component cables through a Sony receiver.

Any other ideas regarding my first home theater setup would be greatly appreciated!

MM

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is a tough one. I own the Optoma H30 and it would be great for that application, except for the ambient light issue. It sounds like you might be happier with a rear projection DLP/LCD or Plasma at that size.

Mike

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I think you'll probably be better off with an RPTV. Ambient light takes the best part of FPTV away.

Go to Costco and get the PJ that is the brightest. Take it home and try it. Costco will let you return it at no cost.

And you might even find that it works for you. I saw the 4805 next to two other PJs. Its color, brightness and clarity blew them away.

Shock96 makes a good point. Your screen size is more in line with RPTVs. And the PJ would have to be mounted pretty close to the screen. (might work, though)

I did see some ads in the new BB Sunday circular for DLP RPTVs that looked pretty interesting. Some of the new ones are very thin. One was 4.5"!!

And an RCA DLP came with an HDTV receiver built-in for a good price. It looks like new models are coming out. I'd do some serious shopping and comparing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depending on how deep your media bay is, it will make ambient light less of an issue. For instance, I've experimented with projecting into a television armoir and on a wall beside it in the same room. With lights on, and the brightness on the projector set fairly low, the image on the wall looked a bit washed out, but the image in the armoir was perfect.

Hence, I'd experiment and if you can go with a 1280 machine like the AE700 or the infocus screenplay, do it. No xga can do true justice to HDTV. By the way, I own a 1900 lumen 1000:1 contrast xga 3x dlp projector and an Electrohome 8500 CRT.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Depends on when you watch the content as well, at night time it's perfect regardless of how many windows you have. Unless you have a street light right next to you of course.

But daytime watching will definitely require some damn good light blocking curtains.

Then again, have you seen some of the glare on those FPTV's? I was close to getting an RPTV but the guard (yes I know it can be removed) was incredibly shiny, so light isn't the FPTV friend either.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Hence, I'd experiment and if you can go with a 1280 machine like the AE700 or the infocus screenplay, do it. No xga can do true justice to HDTV. By the way, I own a 1900 lumen 1000:1 contrast xga 3x dlp projector and an Electrohome 8500 CRT.
I agree and disagree with that statement, XGA can definitely do justice to HDTV, as I have an SVGA projector and HD content is clearly superior in all aspects. Yes, I'd get the highest resolution I could afford, but don't let the low numbers scare you, HDTV is amazing on the low end machines as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I can tell you that on axis, the 6200 is very bright, ceiling mounted on a 85 inches High Power 16:9 screen. I imagine if you table mount, and use a 4:3 65 inch screen, the image will be viewable on axis with minimal light control.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Swat_R2
I have an SVGA projector and HD content is clearly superior in all aspects. Yes, I'd get the highest resolution I could afford, but don't let the low numbers scare you, HDTV is amazing on the low end machines as well.
I whole heartedly agree with this. I have an SVGA Optoma H30 and running 1080i through it from EPSN HD produces a jaw dropping image. I think there tends to be to much importance placed on resolution. If it's in your budget- great, if not- you may be surprised by the image a lower end unit can deliver. My 2 cents. Sorry that's a little off topic but I grabbed my soapbox and went for it. :)

Musicman- the 65" screen does help your cause a lot as the light is so much more concentrated than on a 100"+ screen. You have to answer though what percentage of your viewing will be done during daylight and figure it out from there.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.