AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just installed Plutohome, an open source Linux media project. Whenever he inserts a CD or DVD, it recognizes the disc and displays the cover art, along with detailed attributes, like the names of the chapters in a DVD, or the studio for a CD, like a Windows XP Media Center does. It also seems to cache this locally since the next time he puts the disc in the recognition is instant; first time there's a 2 second delay or so. I didn't know there was such a free system for Linux. I only knew about freedb, which works only for cd's, isn't nearly as accurate, and doesn't have cover art or other extended data.

The recognition is just as good as Windows XP MC, and it even shows the cover art on any mobile phones or pda's in the room. Anyway, it's open source so I guess that means everybody else can use it for their Linux projects too. But so far I haven't been able to find anybody else using it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanverien
My friend just installed Plutohome, an open source Linux media project. Whenever he inserts a CD or DVD, it recognizes the disc and displays the cover art, along with detailed attributes, like the names of the chapters in a DVD, or the studio for a CD, like a Windows XP Media Center does. It also seems to cache this locally since the next time he puts the disc in the recognition is instant; first time there's a 2 second delay or so. I didn't know there was such a free system for Linux. I only knew about freedb, which works only for cd's, isn't nearly as accurate, and doesn't have cover art or other extended data.

The recognition is just as good as Windows XP MC, and it even shows the cover art on any mobile phones or pda's in the room. Anyway, it's open source so I guess that means everybody else can use it for their Linux projects too. But so far I haven't been able to find anybody else using it.
I've been looking at Plutohome to implement as a home controller. The program is VERY interesting in its capabilities, but in looking at a page on their site for what works, well...let's say that a lot of features haven't been implemented yet. And, I'm not sure I want a box that does EVERYTHING. I'm building a KnoppMyth box to do MythTV and media serving. I believe Pultohome can be programmed to communicate with it instead of using the internal MythTV.

I'm holding off on PH until more features are working. But, it holds a lot of promise and I'll be keeping an eye on its development.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kept digging because I wanted to know what was going on. I learned that the module that does the recognition is actually using Microsoft's Windows media server--which is why the results seemed identical to XP MC and it was more accurate than the others. When I contacted them (btw, they had live chat and phone support--nice for a free project) they said it wasn't developed by them so they can't comment on it and don't recommend using a module that "hijacks" off Microsoft's server. I also asked them to confirm the status of the "what works" list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.