AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have completed my first build and I want to thank everybody that chimed in as I'm sure I asked the same questions you guys answer over and over. I have a shiva in a sonotube that is app. 8 cf and I believe it is tuned to about 18 hz. The amp is one side of a mackie fr2500 (750watts).

My question is on adjusting everything to sound the best it can. I am new to this so I don't have anything to measure db's or frequency response. So far I've just played around with it by ear with various movies and music. I absolutely love how it sounds, but often wonder if I could do more with it. I do not have a hp filter yet so I have been hesitant to push it very hard.

Being new to this, where should I go from here? Hp filter? If so, which one?

Is there a dvd or cd I can purchase that has a frequency sweep or something that would help me adjust this thing with just my ears?

Thank you in advance,

Eric

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Eric,

You can download REW (it's free) and purchase a little Radio Shack SPL meter (I think around 40 dollars or so) and run through some sweeps to show what the sub is doing. Based off of those you can then try and move the sub around (if possible) and run some more sweeps until you find the place that gives you the best readings.

James

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Check out the diy test DVD up in the stickies on the top of the forum. It has some sweeps and individual frequencies.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It is all about if it pleases you. Don't worry. Enjoy it. You can spend a lot of time and money chaseing problems that don't exist. Instead, go to the symphony, concert, blues club, folk night and listen. Then go home and listen.

If it is ported, by all means build (this is DIY) a HF filter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the option for the hf filter?

Also, when i designed the box using the sonsub program i believe the specs were for the older model of the shiva. Is there a difference between the two? If so, then my tune might be a little different than i think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts