Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Dreamx-108 owners,

A "final" version of the firmware is available here. Go to the download page and look for the "Elta 8882" link. Recall that the Dreamx-108 is a Elta 8882 clone.

Fixed in this version from 2.0.3 is:

1) pause/step works

2) loading discs is WAY more reliable

3) start-up (whether a disc will start playing or not) issues looks to be complete fixed

4) menus are much faster

5) MV stays off after flashing if it was off before. the usual incantation (up+up+down+down+right+left+vol_up) still seems to work.

Note that I've seen a 2.0.4b version floating around. DO NOT USE THIS ONE. This one will disable the front panel. the LED will be red when not in standby and green when in standby. Russian language will appear in some osd's even if english is selected.

The above version appears to the the final (or very close to it) that hopefully Elta will put out on their site soon.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks Jeff-I've been giving these a spin tonight (finally!)

Unfortunately, I've been screwing around with the WMVHD "Coral Reef Adventure". upconverted DVD looks absolutely dirty compared to real 720p source material. The audio is weird-its gonna use up the 5 channel audio in on my receiver.

Thanks for all your work with this player! And I got my front panel back!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update on this firmware... The disc load issues I had with the 2.0.3b version appear to all be gone now. No more of the eject/load procedure that the momitsu folks discovered. Just swap discs and it works.

If I had to bet, I'd say they all are using the same "new and improved" Sigma firmware.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
Too bad there are no picture adjustment settings (brightness, sharpness, etc.). Doesn't the Liteon 2001 have this feature? Given they are using the same Sigma chip (?), it would have been nice if these features made it into the DreamX clones... JEFF

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LiteON has brightness, saturation, and contrast video adjustments which really helps darker movies.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear lots of people wanting such player controls. They only make sense if your display only has one set of controls for all inputs. My set has seperate user controls for each input. I would not use such a feature.

jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks. I'm still on the hacked 1.0.0.6. I;ve burned the updated fw's to CD but since I'm not using the player now as a DVD player (its being used for CDs in another room - no HT there), I'll be waiting a few months for when I get a new receiver (I only have one 1080 input on my TV).

Hey Greeno (and others) - do you notice any difference in PQ going to the higher fw revisions? or, do they just address non-PQ issues? JEFF

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only really compared the 1.0.0.6 and the 2.0.4 versions. I don't see too much pq differences at 1080i. The player is just more usable. the menus are faster, loading is more reliable. pq has always been the same - really good. Note that because of my display's poor 480p to 540p upconvert, I really benefit from this type of player. Others MMV.

I've not put a scope on this player, but it does pass blacker than black. I don't see white or black crush. Reviewers have pointed out that it is a bit soft, but I've found that varies from title to title whether you can see it or not on real material.

I will say though that for poorly transfered titles and ones with excessive EE, you can see it better. for those sorts of titles, nothing can help.

This was one of the best $128 I ever spent, all things considered.

jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.