AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AVS, first post.

I'm recently discovering the slippery slope of quality home audio. After buying some small bookshelf speakers (Vanatoo t1) that sound decent but leave me wanting in the SPL department, I am on the hunt for a set of stereo speakers that arent too gigantic (I have small amount of square footage to work with), that provide an airy, dynamic and fairly detailed soundstage throughout the spectrum of listening levels. I purchased a HSU VTF-3 MK3 for $350 used and am extremely pleased with the performance in my space (8'x16'x 8'ceilings).

I am looking for suggestions on a set of stereo speakers/amp/DAC?/x-over/whatever you think is necessary to get a system that can get pretty loud and stay clean, but that also provides a lush soundscape etc. My budget is around $1000 for the receiver and speakers, but i could be convinced to shell out a few more bills if it would make a discernible difference.

I prefer slightly warm to slightly cool sound, and listen to an eclectic mix of music, but definitely prioritize a set that is capable of house-party levels without losing their clarity.

I appreciate any and all help.
Regards,
Turner

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
If you want something that can pound hard and stay clean, check out the Emotiva Stealth 8. They do have a lot of SPL on tap with two 200 watt amp in each, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. A pair will set you back 1500. You can temper the highs for a warmer sound. You can roll off the speakers at a higher frequency for better integration with the sub. They do sound very good and have a very flat frequency response and excellent dispersion. One of my favs at this price point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a preamp in order to connect the monitors to the sub, yes? If so, can anyone recommend a good preamp/dac that wont break the bank but still performs? Appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
If you only ever want to have a stereo system, then I would get a solid integrated amp and a pair of bookshelves.

This Yamaha would be a good choice, it has plenty of power, digital inputs, and a sub pre-out for your HSU. http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ated-amplifier-with-built-in-dac/1.html#!more

A4L is a good place to get refurbished units, and they come with manufacturer warranties, many people on this site have used them.

As for speakers, if you really want house-party levels, you are going to need to look at a high-efficiency design. If you don't need something fancy looking, the PowerSound MT-110 would be hard to beat for $1100/pair. These are true high efficiency speakers that will blow you out of the room if you need them to. PSA is a very well regarded brand and all their products are made in the US if that matters.

A more traditional design you can look at is the Martin Logan 35XT, you can hear these at a Best Buy Magnolia and they have a very good ribbon tweeter. They have a 92dB sensitivity, and will have no problems getting loud. Considering you aren't in a huge space, they should easily get louder than you can stand. They won't have the same dynamics as the PSAs, but for music the ribbon is a great choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts