AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a decent set of speakers that will do some justice to classical music, but won't break the bank. I'd love to keep it under $100, but $200 would be my absolute max. I am not an audiophile by any means - right now I have an $11 set of Logitechs, but I can appreciate good sound, and they don't have it. Most of my music is in mp3 format, so, again, this isn't a seriously "perfect" solution I'm looking for.

These speakers will do double/triple duty as computer speakers & my computer is my TV/DVD player - I've only got a 22" monitor, the most it'll ever be would be 30" but it's doubtful that I'll go beyond 24". The point is, it's a small area. I do not play games or watch TV or movies very much, so good performance for those isn't nearly as important as for classical music.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You don't mention what you'll be driving them with. Do you have an AVR, a preamp/amp, a receiver? If not, then you'll need powered speakers instead of passive speakers (I suspect your Logitechs are powered computer speakers).

I'm sure someone will have suggestions at that price point, but I would save until your budget doubles. The possibilities at $400-500 are much greater, and you won't have to compromise. You can get some very decent small bookshelf speakers for ~$400.

Also, you might want to consider posting this in the Speakers forum rather than here. I suspect you'll get more suggestions there.

·
The Village Idiot
9,749 Posts
I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 bookshelf speakers based on the 2009 Audioholics bookshelf shootout reviews. For under $150 they ain't bad - in fact they are quite good when you consider what they cost. I'm using them with an HK 3390 - and for source my computer - tv and radio so I don't have to fire up the home theater equipment. They have decent bass mids and highs. At high listening levels they can get a bit shrill but I've heard worse - like my nephew's Klipsch RF-52s. I was driving them with a Denon 589 but the HK seems to drive them better. They are an air suspension design - sealed instead of ported but seem to have good bass response so a sub might not be needed - depending on your listening room size.

At some point I think I'll remove the 8" woofer and stuff some fill inside to see if they can get any better sounding. If that improves the SQ I may add a better crossover.

·
Registered
121 Posts
 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=1148218

I heard this speaker at Best Buy and was blown away, considering its price. Pioneer says they spent their money on a nice crossover and drivers instead of on cosmetics (gotta say, it's pretty bland looking) and I think it paid off, I haven't heard a more natural sounding speaker (highs and mids) at this price. The 4" woofer doesn't go very low, of course, if classical means piano and flutes to you then you'll be fine but if you're listening to anything orchestral, you're gonna need a subwoofer.

Generally speaking I'm against subwoofers for 2 channel audio, but I don't know of a speaker in this price range that goes low enough to not need one.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
In this price range forget subwoofer - you do not have budget for it. Get M-Audio if you sit in 3-5 feet from speakers. Otherwise get Pioneer, but you will need an amplifier for it too - google for t-amp for that.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
You don't mention what you'll be driving them with. Do you have an AVR, a preamp/amp, a receiver? If not, then you'll need powered speakers instead of passive speakers (I suspect your Logitechs are powered computer speakers).

This is the key question. Assuming these speakers are to be plugged directly into a computer, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Audioengine 2s yet.

If you have some sort of amp/receiver already, that opens up the field a bit. Infinity and Polk make some good, affordable bookshelf speakers.

·
The Village Idiot
9,749 Posts
Another thread where the OP gets some decent recommendations - has only one post and appears to have wandered off into the hinterlands.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

·
The Village Idiot
9,749 Posts
I have that very same Lepai T-Amp coming some time today. For the price I'm hoping it'll work out for a garage amp - or maybe for my office - with a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 speakers and an old DVD player.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratechance /forum/post/20985668

How does that Dayton 8" sub compare to this Polk 10" (on sale for $99)?

This nicer looking cherry version is also on sale for $99.

The box size is different, if that matters to you. I suspect both are OK for a $100 sub. Maybe you could get more info on the Sub forum. In the end I suspect they will sound similar - neither go very deep, neither will play very loud. One has port in the rear, one in front. Obviously one uses an 8" driver, the other a 10". Neither is particularly good, or bad, especially for the money. I know the Dayton high passes the high level speaker outs, not sure if the Polk does - or if that matters to you.

I was just pointing out one

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano /forum/post/20985756

How about these ?

I've never been a big fan of mid/bass drivers less than 5", but maybe they would make you happy - never tried that particular model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.