AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any subwoofer recommendations for a 5.1 system under $2,000 w/ 12" woofer? I'm pretty 'set' on an REL S5, but other recommendations are greatly appreciated. The system will be used MOSTLY for audio, but a movie or two might happen as well. I'm currently using Legacy Audio Signature SE's, but plan on adding Legacy's Silver Screen and Studio's in the near future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I've heard the REL. It's a great sub. But at it's price point I felt I had better options. I ended up purchasing two Paradigm UltraCube 12's with a the Perfect Bass Kit for the same price as a single REL S/5 and I've been VERY happy. The Paradigms are very tight with the two passive radiators, the amps can produce short peaks of 1K watts, RMS is something around 600 if I remember correctly), and with the Perfect Bass Kit you can tune them for your room and tastes. The only fault I've found with the Paradigms are they are very bland looking. But to save money and get very good sound, its not something that concerns me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What's the reason for specifying a 12" subwoofer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Already loving this forum! Being introduced and 'weeding' out the thousands of audio brands out there from trusted members like yourselves is so rewarding and a lot less intimidating. So, 'thank you'!

I'm coming from a Golden Ear SuperCinema 5.1 system, so I'm quite bright eyed and bushy tailed on all these new brands :laugh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Unfortunately, not the most ideal 'setup'. It's a 25x25 area in a furnished basement of the house. Once again, it's an open concept, that stretches from the front of the house to the back of the house. My setup is the corner of the basement (by the windows/TV)

Here are pictures of the basement from the previous owners when the house was listed -

A 12" sub is more "average" than "large". ;) How big is your space (l x w x h; sealed or open to other spaces)?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unfortunately, not the most ideal 'setup'. It's a 25x25 area in a furnished basement of the house. Once again, it's an open concept, that stretches from the front of the house to the back of the house. My setup is the corner of the basement (by the windows)

Here are pictures of the basement from the previous owners when the house was listed -

Nice staging.

Assuming an ~8-foot ceiling, your room volume is ~5000 cubic feet (ft.^3). Depending on SPL, amp capacity, and room damping, one consumer-grade 12"er could easily be overwhelmed in such a space.

If you're not a DIY guy, and you have 2 G's to spend:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/dual-subwoofers

Or, if you want to save some dough, pick 2:

http://home-subwoofers-review.toptenreviews.com/

Reactions: Fuzzfriendly

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That is one beautiful room! Me jealous :D

For such an open space and big room, I would suggest something like the Reaction Audio's Echo 18 or the JTR Captivator 1400 on pre-order.

However, those are pretty big black boxes. Not sure if aesthetics play a role here?

I heard Tom at PSA will start offering the S3000i with veneer options (I'm biased since I have dual s3000i, but it's one heck of a sub).

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think it depends on your priorities. Best all-around subs in my opinion are made by Rythmik. They use a servo feedback loop. The cone movement is measured and reported back to the amplifier and compared with the supply signal, and adjustments are made instantaneously. They have good output levels and deep extension at 14 hz. Consider F15HP for impeccable sound quality, FV15HP for excellent sound quality and much higher output, or F25 for best of both. They come in optional gloss black finish, if aesthetics are important.

If you want to spend closer to 3k (2700 + shipping), most people say Seaton SubMersive HP+ is top dog. I suspect it still lacks a bit compared to Rythmik in the SQ department, though many disagree with me. But it has crazy output, and still sounds excellent.

Going back to Rythmik, their E15HP in black matte is on sale for $1024. It's identical to the F15HP except it's 2" narrower and 1" shallower, and so maybe 0.5 db less output. Find room for a 2 of them and you're set. :)

The advantage of 2 subs has to do with room acoustics of bass frequencies. If you walk around a room, paying attention to bass response, you will notice the bass may sound perfectly fine in one location, but move over 2 feet and certain frequencies drop noticeably. Having two subs helps smooth out room response.

By the way, nice room. :) And welcome to AVS.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I'd think a golden cherry Seaton Submersive would look great in that room. I've never heard one but when you read reviews here at AVS there's little question that it's a top performer. It's a bit over your budget at nearly $3k but thought I'd mention it. Very nice space by the way!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh, that would match the Legacy's cherry finish. Gorgeous!

Well, now that I have my recommendations, it's time to do some research :)

I'd think a golden cherry Seaton Submersive would look great in that room. I've never heard one but when you read reviews here at AVS there's little question that it's a top performer. It's a bit over your budget at nearly $3k but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
That is one beautiful room! Me jealous :D

For such an open space and big room, I would suggest something like the Reaction Audio's Echo 18 or the JTR Captivator 1400 on pre-order.

However, those are pretty big black boxes. Not sure if aesthetics play a role here?

I heard Tom at PSA will start offering the S3000i with veneer options (I'm biased since I have dual s3000i, but it's one heck of a sub).
I second the JTR Captivator. It's on sale for $1599 until mid may and shipping is around $150. I think they're in Wisconsin, so shipping may be less or you may be able to pick one up, but if you pickup, you may have to pay sales tax.

I agree it's not the best looking sub, but it'll probably give you the most bass for under $2k.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts