AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently my setup is strictly audio. I listen to my records on my Pro-ject Debut III turntable hooked up to Pioneer FS-51 speakers, powered by a Harman Kardon 3490.

However, next month I'm moving to a larger space, where there's actually room for a TV. I'm wondering if it's advisable to add an LCD, receiver, and amp, so I can watch movies or play records as I please.

Any advice, and would this even work?

·
Registered
30,681 Posts
No reason why it shouldn't work. In fact, if you can find another FS-51 to use as a centre speaker, you'll have three of the same speaker across the front, giving you excellent consistency across the front soundstage. Since those speakers are not very tall (about 30 inches), you can wall-mount the LCD TV above them. Get a couple of bookshelf versions of those speakers and you've good surround sound. BTW, no need to get an amp, since a receiver has amplification built in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, meant to say a sub- currently, I'm researching the Klipsch-RW-12d and Bic F12.

as for the center speaker, I did find a C21 on craigslist- new, still in box for $30- I think I'll jump on that deal!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1468160/2-1-advice#post_23202582

Unfortunate, since it won't sound like your L/R speakers.

Agreed. For surround sound, your front left/right/center should timbre match. Typically, the only way to do that is to buy one of the exact same speaker as the left/right to use as center, or use the matching center created by the manufacturer. Using just any center can sometimes sound worse than no center at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1468160/2-1-advice#post_23202806

Typically, the only way to do that is to buy one of the exact same speaker as the left/right to use as center, or use the matching center created by the manufacturer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the C-21 was the matching center for the FS-51's since they're both included in Pioneer's SP-PK51FS stereo system?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sorry. I misread the model number you listed good choice

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Just wanted to add that you can't go wrong with either of those subs - they're both good, budget subs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.