AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a small project and wanted to throw together something for my computer desk. Just want something that will be used for music while i'm working. I usually game with headphones and I won't be watching movies here. I have settled on the C-Notes after doing some research on smaller bookshelf speakers. Came across this amp that I was wanting to use to power the C-Notes and a small sub. I am having trouble deciding what direction to go with the sub.

A.) I came across this sub here on the forum.
B.) I have started leaning towards the Voxel sub. Seems like it's highly regarded for it's size.
C.) Picking up something around the RMS range of that amp and using Winisd to model a box myself. I understand that it most likely does not put out what it says it does.

I have enough scrap to throw the box together. Size wise looking to stay around a 1' cube, it will be either on my desk behind the monitors or on the floor next to it which is about 4ft away. All in so far is under $200, not worried about glue, wires, paint etc as I have enough stuff lying around. All that's left is a driver and some ports, so what i'm looking to spend I'd say is no more than $100. The only other lingering question is will that amp be fine to use. I'm noticing most people use a plate amp on the sub but I like the way the amp I have chosen looks, and would like to put it close to me on the desk. Any thoughts are appreciated. Looking forward to hearing and seeing any of your mini subs. Technically my Marty is a mini but in this case i'm really looking for a mini mini sub.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just picked up a 2.1 amp board that uses the same TPA3116 chip as the amp you are looking at. I tested it out on a cheap GRS 8 inch sub and one of my black Friday JBL 12s. It could easily push the 8 to its limits in free air, and it impressed me with just how much it could make the JBL 12 move.

I don't think you will have any problems using it with a sub in the 80-150 watt range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just picked up a 2.1 amp board that uses the same TPA3116 chip as the amp you are looking at. I tested it out on a cheap GRS 8 inch sub and one of my black Friday JBL 12s. It could easily push the 8 to its limits in free air, and it impressed me with just how much it could make the JBL 12 move.

I don't think you will have any problems using it with a sub in the 80-150 watt range.
Sounds promising, I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on the C-notes and the amp while I research small subs some more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished the Voxel sub today, something is not right. At very low volumes it sounds like rattling coming from the port, almost as soon as it is audible. There isn't anything loose in the box as i've checked numerous times. I have zip tied the wire to make sure it isn't moving around and it's built to the specs I found exactly, the speaker isn't touching the port or anything. I'm guessing this is a form of chuffing, but not sure. Wouldn't think it should be an issue at every volume. Any ideas? Not really an issue I've seen researching it, everyone says it's great.

voxel.jpg

It's two of these ports glued end to end as the instructions say, flared sides out.

20200522_155133 (2).jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Took the port apart cleaned off the super glue and used hot glue. I used some speaker gasket on the port against the box and it sounds significantly better. May make some more port modifications to see if I can make it even better but I think I fixed it for the most part. The port is the least sturdy thing about this thing. Beat the box up a little which is unfortunate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts