AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a system slowly and look to eventually have a 7.2 system. I currently have $1250 to spend not including reciever. and have debating what to buy first. The room is 24x17 with the tv being in the middle of the 24' wall. I want a good system that hass good bass. I am thinking of bic pl200 for my sub however I am focused on the front towers and center. What if any good options are out there or should I just go with a 2.1 and continue to save.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
What I have been told. And what you will hear from others is this. Spend the greatest amount of your budget on the speakers. For $1,250, you would be better off getting a good 2.1 system rather than a OK 3.1 system. Go and listen to the likes of B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio or Paradigm. There are others as well. You mentioned towers. You will get more bang for the buck if you go with bookshelves as the sub will take care of the lower frequencies. Once you get a good 2.1 set up, save up for the center and then get some surrounds as funds dictate.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19642174

What I have been told. And what you will hear from others is this. Spend the greatest amount of your budget on the speakers. For $1,250, you would be better off getting a good 2.1 system rather than a OK 3.1 system. Go and listen to the likes of B&W, KEF, Monitor Audio or Paradigm. There are others as well. You mentioned towers. You will get more bang for the buck if you go with bookshelves as the sub will take care of the lower frequencies. Once you get a good 2.1 set up, save up for the center and then get some surrounds as funds dictate.

I second this. Try to listen to as many speakers as you can to get an idea of what you REALLY want your speakers to sound like. Everyone hears differently and no one can suggest a speaker that is best for you. Demoing is the best way to find speakers you may like. If you get an idea of what sound or brand, you can come back and ask people hear for something that is similar sounding from internet direct companies. If you have the time/money, you could try ID speakers as most have a great return policy.

Start with a 2.1 system and go from there. Start with the L/R and worry about a sub afterwards. The more you can spend on a sub the better. Not that the sub you selected is bad, but there are more capable subs for deeper bass, at not a lot more money. Subwoofer forum is a great place to read up on them so you have a better idea of what you need to look for.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate all the feedback I just get lost in all the technical specs everyone throws out here. I want something with good midbass at least since I don't plan on buying a sub right away. I hear how the center is the most important part should I buy the center and towers before the sub? What are really good towers in your opinions for $800 pair range?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Don't get all flustered with tech specs. A lot of it is marketing doublespeak! It sounds like you really want towers. $800 will get you some Monitor Audio BX5s or some Paradigm Monitor 7s maybe. There are many more as well.

If you want to just get your feet wet with less money, either the Infinity Primus P362 or the Polk Monitor 70 can be had for under $400 a pair. There is a write up of the P362 in Stereophile that had good things to say about it.

Each brand has a matching center speaker so that is not a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.