AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, due to some of the constraints of college living, I've been forced to sell my home theater system. Having to sell the things in which I invested so much money and time was difficult enough, but my HT system was also what I used for audio for my computer. Now I'm looking for a "good" 2.1 PC speaker system, and the most I'm willing to spend is $200.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you had any suggestions. I realize that anything I get is going to be a sizeable downgrade from what I previously had, but I need something that's relatively compact and inexpensive that still sound pretty good.

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
What's your sound card? Consider the Chaintech AV-710 if you dont already have it. Also, the Swan M-200's are great, and the Altec Lansing MX5021 are, in my opinion, a better option than the Promedia 2.1's.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
A couple of Polk R15s from Frys or Outpost for $50/pr (when on sale) and a Dayton 10" sub from www.partsexpress.com for $99.00 + shipping. Or Athena B1s for $75.00/pair (on sale now I believe) from www.audioadivsor.com . When you upgrade you can move these to surround duty (or not :) )

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,675 Posts
Cambridge Soundworks has some great multimedia speaker systems. I love the one I have, but it runs $399, which is twice your budget (but it sounds much better than every other multimedia speaker system I have ever heard . . .) But check out their website; they have lower-priced options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys. I know I can always count on my buddies at AVS to help me out with these kinds of decisions. I'd been reading reviews at places like cnet, but I quickly realized that most people who post reviews there probably aren't necessarily listening the way I do.

There is a good chance I'll go with the Klipsch because of your input, things I had heard from others, and the ability to pick them up for a significant discount off the retail price if I look around a bit.

Ace

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,675 Posts
Check out audioreview.com for consumer reviews that, to me, have seemed accurate.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I recommend the logitech Z5500 - its a 5.1 system with a ten inch subwoofer and 3inch driver in each satellite. The control pod includes a DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital decoder with cirrus logich chipset (same as Harman Kardon and Onkyo) and its also THX certified and has coax, optical and analog inputs. Check out review in cnet.com. Want only 2.1 then only use two speakers but I suggest you use them all.

You can purchase new for around $259 when on sale from newegg.com (check often). Dell also sometimes has special codes or coupons which bring it down to $200 with a free printer was the last special I saw - go to slickdeals.net

Currently, you can go to dell.com and use the code from dell home division:

SAVE $20 on Electronics and Accessories orders of at least $150 but less than $1000 (before tax, fees and shipping & handling) purchased from the Dell Home Electronics and Accessories site! Offer may be combined with select other offers. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Coupon code expires after first 7,000 uses, or earlier if offer is terminated earlier. Offer subject to change in Dell home Valid: 8/19/05 8:00am CST

Enter Dell Computer Coupon Code: 5?KHKMQ4XTGQ4$

This will bring it down to $250. I have one and it is guaranteed to kill the Bose 321 plus it will be awesome for gaming as well.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
I have the Swan M200s as well as the sound and looks are vastly superior to other computer speakers. I have since added a subwoofer to round out the sound. Highly recommended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.