AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been poking around a bit, and have an interest in building a small HT setup. Id like to go sub/midrange/tweet, but thats beside the point I suppose.

I dont need rear fill, and all I can find with sub support is 5.1+ receivers/amps.

Are there not any budget or cheaper receivers that will drive both a frontstage and amp? I see very little of the budget minded ones having any filters as well, such as LPF, or a subsonic which is hugely important.

I dont see amps divided by classes like in car audio either. If I want to get a dedicated amp for my sub, why dont they make a class D amp that will be cheaper/more efficient than another?

Perhaps Im looking for the best solution to my problem. I cant decide whether I need a full receiver or not, as I want this to be a mobile station of sorts. My plans are a frontstage comprised of a midwoofer and tweets, crossed around 3khz depending on the drivers, then a single sub setup. Wanting to do a little 8 or 10" sub in a horn like some of you had helped me with before. This time given I wont be too space restricted, I can do the horn enclosure correctly and can move it around if need be.

The Home theater realm is completely different, so Im curious what the consensus would be on my best solution? I would prefer to keep it AUX input capable for simplicity.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Any stereo amp with an output will work unless you have other requirements.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19541198

Harmon Kardon 3390/3490 has pre-outs and sub connections (2). Real bargains also.

It doesn't actually do any bass management, though. The L and R speakers still get the full range signal.

It does have a line-level Pre Out / Main In loop, but you'd have to provide your own high-pass filter.

-Max

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its full range thats fine.. but then again if its only 2 channel then thatll go to my frontstage anyway.

So at what point does a subwoofer come into play? I dont see anything really being sub-specific, having sub terminals, or any crossover/filter controls.

What gives?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal /forum/post/0

If its full range thats fine.. but then again if its only 2 channel then thatll go to my frontstage anyway.

So at what point does a subwoofer come into play? I dont see anything really being sub-specific, having sub terminals, or any crossover/filter controls.

What gives?

What sub do you have? Most have filters built in.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal /forum/post/19541175

Perhaps Im looking for the best solution to my problem. I cant decide whether I need a full receiver or not, as I want this to be a mobile station of sorts. My plans are a frontstage comprised of a midwoofer and tweets, crossed around 3khz depending on the drivers, then a single sub setup.

Let me guess, you are planning to use car audio speakers...

AJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WiWavelength: And if I dont, would you feel like a jackass? Hope so.

Browsing parts express, staring at some of the tang bang/HiVi stuff and trying to figure out where I want to cross everything.

It doesnt seem they normall have sub preouts or leads at all. How is it normally done then, or is a subwoofer just not accounted for? Or is it done in-line, manually crossed and all?

I actually bought a 10" TC basket and have an RE SE motor on the way, I plan on doing a soft spider setup for a test in a HT application. Curiosity gets the best of me.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Oh, I see. For a dedicated sub amp, you will probably want a plate amp, although pro amps will work fine also.

Parts Express has a couple DIY builds and so does ZaphAudio.com. Madisound.com has lots of drivers and kits you cam assemble yourself. From my car audio days, Seas, Peerless and Scanspeak make some awesome pieces. Any of the Seas RNX woofers are nice, the Lotus or exotic line is obviously better and the price shows it. The Peerless Exclusive is also a nice midrange/woofer. I can't remember what model number it goes by. The Scanspeak Revelator is a very highly regarded midrange/woofer. I'm not up on tweeters as much. Throw Vifa in there also for a popular speaker company. I always wanted to make my own setup, but the crossover and enclosure will make or break the whole thing. I just don't have the knowledge to build a nice crossover and its not something I really want to start getting into. Probably take me years to get the knowledge necessary.

Maybe look into making an "active" setup? You could buy something like a Behringer unit with a crossover and EQ and just play with it. See what you like best. That way your not locked into 1 set crossover. I think if you went that way, each speaker would need its own channel. So a tweeter/woofer pair would need 4 channels, I think. Something to consider.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/19541553

It doesn't actually do any bass management, though. The L and R speakers still get the full range signal.

It does have a line-level Pre Out / Main In loop, but you'd have to provide your own high-pass filter.

-Max

Thats correct but they are well built and anyone should be able to set up their subs with a Radio Shack meter. If not there's also a bass management system from SVS that works very well. The prices for either of these are very good. They also deliver theirpower ratings with real numbers so an additional amp is not needed. If you just want analog get the 3390. If you want analog/digital get the 3490. Nice test on one of these at Audioholics. Test report states that this receiver surpassed its stated power easily.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, was looking at plate amps as well.

So it would go Source -> Receiver -> (internal amp to frontstage) sub pre-outs -> sub plate amp?

Assuming of course the receiver has preouts for the subwoofer.

Making more sense here. It would be nice to go active though Im afraid the money will break the bank. Im working with a rather low budget.

Still.. it would be nice just to have a single amp to do frontstage and sub. I would think that would be extremely common!

I had another question come up. I see many have l/r and center channels, can the center channel be commonly switched for a sub out by chance?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal /forum/post/19545541

Still.. it would be nice just to have a single amp to do frontstage and sub. I would think that would be extremely common!

Nope. You are looking at this from a car audio perspective, but that does not necessarily translate well to home audio, as >90% of home audio subs are self powered. The plate amps are built into the subs.

AJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, seems to be that way.

But then again, I dont see many of the receivers having sub-outs either for the powered subs.

Itd be convienant to do one of the little 15x2 lepai amps for 20 bucks or so, then do up a real low budget 2/3way frontstage.. but Id really like to have a sub in there for some solid low-end. Otherwise it just feels like half the audio experience is missing.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Another good reason to get an AVR rather than a stereo receiver
They have all the goodies, such as room correction, bass management digtal decoding...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts