AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help on a 2.1 setup for a large room that I could upgrade to 5.1 later.

Thinking of spending $300 for the speakers (floor standing speakers, maybe energy CF-30). $300 for a receiver as well, and maybe just $100 for a sub.

Mostly for music, but also TV and occasional movies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, would it be worth it to add a center speaker. Don't want to add rear speakers right now because wiring these would be too difficult with my room.

Thanks!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You might as well save your money on the sub, because a hundred dollar sub in a large room is like no sub at all. The sub has to be able to pressurize the whole space in order to get decent bass throughout the room, and no sub in your price range can do that. I would just try to stretch for some tower speakers that has decent bass. Also you will not be able to get a very beefy 5.1 receiver for 300. For this reason, you might look at some BIC Acoustech PL-76 or PL-89 tower speakers in your budget. They will get very loud with very little amplification, and they look like they have good bass for inexpensive tower speakers. There are a lot of good receiver deals out there today, check out look for promotions from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer, and Harman/Kardon to name a few decent brands.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A $100 sub will be like a fart in a hurricane in a large room so I'd put that $100 into better speakers. About the only thing I know of that fits your needs and is within your $400 budget is the Polk Monitor 70 at Buy.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the replies I'm looking at the following setup:

- BIC Acoustech PL-76 $359.49

Either:

- Sony STR-DH810 7.1-channel A/V Receiver ($219)

- Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver ($242)

- Open to suggestions.

Please let me know which receiver you'd suggest. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts