AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap stereo amplifier recommendation. Used or new. I have 2 40W rms 6 ohm speakers and a sub so it needs to have RCA sub out.

Any ideas on something that will sound decent on a small budget? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni2743 /forum/post/18290542

I'm looking for a cheap stereo amplifier recommendation. Used or new. I have 2 40W rms 6 ohm speakers and a sub so it needs to have RCA sub out.

Any ideas on something that will sound decent on a small budget? Thanks in advance!

The RCA sub out is not necessary if your sub as a built in crossover. It will filter whatever signal you send it up to it's crossover seting. This said, You can use the normal preout from the preamp or DVD player (with a good splitter if you do not have double outs) and feed at the same time your amplifier and sub.

I have never seen a preout on an apmlifier for a sub except for integrated amplifiers which have the preamp section builtinside the amp. This is also another option for your to consider if you do not already ahave a preamp or processor.

All the best,

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes my sub does have a crossover. So I guess all I need is a cheap amp. Again any suggestions? All I seem to find are receivers.

Edit: Actually I don't have a preamp, so I need an integrated amp?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sherwood RX-4105 is fairly cheep. Do you all think it would sound decent? (Can't post link because I don't have enough posts here)

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
You'll need either a preamp & amp combination or an integrated amp - or a receiver which is in reality an integrated amp with the added bonus of a tuner.

Look at the Harman Kardon
3390 and
3490 - should be able to find either on close-out fairly cheap - or save a bit and buy directly from the HK ebay auction. Both have sub preouts - and the 3490 also has an optical and coax input.

I bought the 3390 from HK on ebay - it was brand new - the receiver face and remote still had the protective plastic on them. HK also gives you the full 2 year warranty just like 'new' ones.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If sub has speaker level inputs, you only need a 2-channel stereo which will be much cheaper than the 5.1+ receivers.

You take the speakers cables from the receiver into the sub, set cross-over to suitable cut-off frequency, and run speaker cables from the sub to the speakers. Your sub will still amplify.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked into it a bit and managed to find an older Harman Kardon 3485 in perfect condition for cheap. It's more than I need I'm sure but I suppose it gives me room to expand. They seem to have a fairly solid rep so I hope it lasts me a while. Going to pick it up Monday. Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts