AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As you know, some of these b&w psb kef definitive speakers and all that can get to be expensive. what do you guys suggest in the regards to the set up. do i budget into a nice 2 channel amp and use the money to buy 2 nice tower/book shelves or will i benefit from lowering the value and getting a 5 speaker system. just want to know what you guys have experienced in your past. (main purpose of use is music, will use to watch tv and movies but not a big need for a home theater)

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Budget?

There is a big advantage in going with 5.1 for movie watching, so you have to decide if that's important to you. For stereo music it won't matter, but what about bluray music concerts which are mulitchannel and would benefit from 5.1 surround sound?

Reactions: deerdance9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

budget about 2500-3000, movie watching isnt critical. i have a 5.1 system now, watched one movie in the past 3 months that uses 5.1 sound. guess im asking more for the "loudness" and "boom" of explosions and whatnot in movies. but i listen to music everyday and the tv watching i do everyday wont kill me if it isnt surround sound just want good clear sound with nice volume compaired to the general tv speakes. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
How big is your room, including any open connecting spaces? To get that good subwoofer sound, you have to make certain you get enough sub for the room.

If you get a good subwoofer, not usually much benefit in going for towers since that sub can take over the lower bass frequencies for bookshelf speakers. What kind of music do you like to listen to?

For subs, look into Internet direct brands SVS Audio, Power Sound Audio, Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, and Rythmik. Those sub makers provide far better deals than you can get locally in a store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

12x12 room, no open connecting spaces. 2.1 system would have speakers placed about 6-7 feet apart and about 10 feet away from listening area.  not much space for a sub due to large furniture. currently have a 300 watt 8inch sub that seems to do a decent job but wouldnt mind upgrading to something more powerfull like a definitive tech supercube. they seem to have nice compact subs. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Def Tech subs are over priced and rarely perform up to their rate specs. Look at the vendors I listed. I would suggest something like the SVS PB-1000 or better in that room. For HT usage, you want a sub that has pretty solid low 20hz extension, which your 8" sub likely does not have (many of the def techs do not either). Best to figure out your sub space limitations and see what you have to work with.

12x12 room means that filling the room won't be a problem. My living room is 6,000 cubic ft with connecting rooms, so I had to go with big subs.

Since you already have a sub, what other equipment do you have now? Maybe something is worth keeping/reusing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Klipsch icon kb-26 towers klipsch b-10 book shelves klipsch c-10 center and polk audio psw111 sub. Pioneer vsx-921k 7.1 receiver. I have been looking at psb or kef speakers and a nad reciever. Just because I heard them and they seem to be miles clearer then what I was hearing. Although I will test with exactly what i listen to before buying. And will look into the subs you suggested. Really appreciate the help

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I think you could definitely improve on all that.

PSB and Kef definitely make some nice speakers. See what you can listen to locally. Monitor Audio and Focal Chorus could be good choices. B&W has their fans.

Look into Denon receivers. The Audyssey MultiEQ room correction EQs the speakers and the sub, unlike MCACC in your Pioneer, although updating your receiver will probably give you the least bang for your buck.

For subs, look at the SVS PB-1000 or SB12-NSD . Both are a big improvement over your sub. The PB-1000 will have deeper extension and more max output than the SB12, whereas the SB12 will have better bass and be more compact in size. The SB12 is on special because they have a newer model, so they may run out soon. It will easily best Def Tech subs costing a good bit more. Here's a review: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sb12-nsd-subwoofer

Reactions: deerdance9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah locally listened to the psb speakers and kef speakers and the dealer seems to have them at a great price. Cheaper then I can find online atleast. Will definitely look into what you suggested. Appreciate the time. Thank you

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdance9  /t/1519678/2-1-vs-surround-set-ups#post_24405007

Yeah locally listened to the psb speakers and kef speakers and the dealer seems to have them at a great price. Cheaper then I can find online atleast. Will definitely look into what you suggested. Appreciate the time. Thank you
Can't go wrong with either PSB or Kef.... That Polk PSW111 can't come anywhere close to the performance of the SVS subwoofers mentioned

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdance9  /t/1519678/2-1-vs-surround-set-ups#post_24404865

budget about 2500-3000, movie watching isnt critical.

12x12 room, no open connecting spaces. 2.1 system would have speakers placed about 6-7 feet apart and about 10 feet away from listening area.  not much space for a sub due to large furniture. currently have a 300 watt 8inch sub that seems to do a decent job but wouldnt mind upgrading to something more powerfull like a definitive tech supercube. they seem to have nice compact subs. 

For mainly music - Monitor Audio Silver 2

It will hndle that room
http://www.audioadvisor.com/Monitor-Audio-Silver-Series-2-2-way-Compact-Loudspeakers/productinfo/MRSS2/#.UwyxYvldUpY

Get a compact SVS subwoofer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts