AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd get the VTF MK3 and wait until i could afford a second one.

I think you'll be very satisfied with the single HSU sub until you can afford a second one, in which case you'll be supremely satisfied. That is until you catch the bug and find yourself dreaming about quad Submersives or something sick like that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey there teknikk7,

I am having a very similar debate, but with two slightly different choices:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169382

I have to believe that the ed A3s-250 is going to outperform the Energy, based on spec, and reputation.

As for the HSU vs. Rythmik - I've heard amazing things about both, obviously one's ported and one is not. I think the Rythmik is probably a bit more musical that the HSU.

Anyhow - happy to have you join the conversation on the other thread. At the end of the day, our two questions are pretty similar!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupnok /forum/post/16986392

Hey there teknikk7,

I am having a very similar debate, but with two slightly different choices:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169382

I have to believe that the ed A3s-250 is going to outperform the Energy, based on spec, and reputation.

As for the HSU vs. Rythmik - I've heard amazing things about both, obviously one's ported and one is not. I think the Rythmik is probably a bit more musical that the HSU.

Anyhow - happy to have you join the conversation on the other thread. At the end of the day, our two questions are pretty similar!

My thread has pictures though

Anyhow Im pretty set on a HSU as I live 20 min from Anaheim. I am going to audition the subs today or tomorrow. Ill post my findings!

thx

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The Energy ESW-V10 is a very nice sub for $300. I have the Mirage Prestige S10, which is the same sub.

It's a clean, articulate sub with respectable output. I haven't heard the HSU STF-2, and while I imagine the STF-2 can best the Energy in overall output and usable bass extension below 25Hz, I wouldn't expect the SQ to be that much different. Energy/Mirage really nailed the SQ for this being a ported sub.

That being said, you really need the right placement - these don't perform the best in a corner... One member in the Mirage owner's thread measured a pretty big peak around 30Hz with his Prestige S10 corner loaded. Plugging one of the ports brought the peak down a bit, but also reduces output a little. I don't have in room measurements, but what I hear goes along with the idea of an in-room peak in this general frequency range.... Although, given the rear porting of the HSU, you'd may have the same issues if you placed it in a corner....

So while 2 STF-2's will probably give you more output and punch...the price difference is enough that I wouldn't immediately rule out dual ESW-V10's. They are worth your consideration.

I like the Prestige S10 quite a bit...but I am looking to move to a sealed sub (Rythmik maybe) since my current living situation limits me to corner placement and I think I can get better sound from a sealed sub in my situation. Plus, as good as the Prestige is....it's still a ported sub....and for whatever reason I've very enamored with the idea of sealed subs right now.

If I had more placement options though...and didn't have my sub stuck in a corner...I might not be thinking of upgrading...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I still maintain that you would be better off picking up a VTF-MK3, and then a few months later a second one. Yes, output on 2 stf-2's would be better, but they only extend down to 25hz. Which is fine for a sub designed for music, but for HT, you really want something that goes down to at least 20hz, preferrably just a hair under. There is a LOT of content in that region that you would be completely missing with 2 stf's vs 1 vtf. And later when you can pick up a second vtf, i can assure you that your output needs would be met.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.