AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OPPO 981 HD feeding a Panasonic PT500 U pj.

The Oppo has a digital zoom on it where I can increase the high of a 16.9:1 to look like a 2.35:1, with no bars top and bottom. I can´t see the side of the screen because of the size of my current screen 16.9:1

The picture looks a bit grainy, but there are no black bars to be seen. (I presume that a newer pj eg:> Panny 3000 will so the picture as graining because of the zoom?

Should I set out to build a new 2.35:1 screen for the OPPO 981 HD and Panasonic PT500 U or seriously think of buying a Panasonic 3000?

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Should You Build a New 2.35 Screen or . . . ?

If you're interested in Cinemascope 2.35 projection, a good start is a screen for the image. Once you have 2.35 screen, you might try zooming. And if zooming bothers you in some way, the Oppo player provides vertical stretch and your choice is an anamorphic adapter for $600? That's less expensive than AE3000.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you are using the zoom of the projector then you will get a 2.35:1 picture. There will be black bars on top and bottom, but these will fall outside of the 2.35:1 screen and can be masked.

On the other hand, if you use Oppo to zoom, then you will only eliminate the black bars, but the picture will still be 16:9. You are just zooming the picture digitally enough to rid of black bars.

The only way to get 2.35:1 without black bars is vertical stretch + anamorphic lens.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Masking Out Black Bars Works OK, Too

Member adude stated: "The only way to get 2.35:1 without black bars is vertical stretch + anamorphic lens."

He is right, and it's also right that you can mask out black bars. Start with bright white 2.35 screen.

Benefit of masking. For bottom black bar, try medium grey masking. In a well darkened room, you can see that medium grey appears to black out black bar. But lo and behold, along come subtitles. And those subtitles remain legible. A monumental work like Letters from IwoJima loses too much if you strip away black bars.

·
Registered
546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude /forum/post/15600435

The only way to get 2.35:1 without black bars is vertical stretch + anamorphic lens.

Sorry to hijack the thread..

Is there any hardware or software way to simulate vertical stretch when my projector doesn't support it? I'm using a HTPC w/ XBMC + zoom player for non physical media and the PS3 for blurays and DVDs.

My projector is the Sanyo PLV-Z2000 and I'm currently zooming.

Thanks!

Tom

EDIT: After more research, it looks like a scaler is what I need. Now to find which one will work the best!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was led to believe that the zoom feature on the Panny 3000, provided both H and V stretching, so if I had a 2:35 screen, I could be fill the entire screen without resorting to expensive panamorph systems?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davison /forum/post/15692807

I was led to believe that the zoom feature on the Panny 3000, provided both H and V stretching, so if I had a 2:35 screen, I could be fill the entire screen without resorting to expensive panamorph systems?

The zoom feature on the AE3000 does not stretch at all. It's simply a memory feature for your settings. The projector stores the zoom level and lens shift for your 16:9 and 2.35:1 setups in memory and allows you to swap between them with a few remote commands.

So you would zoom in and set your lens shift for 2.35:1 movies, tell the ae3000 to remember those settings, then zoom out and set lens shift for 16:9 material and have the panny remember those settings. No stretching involved. It's kind of gimmicky but the degree to which the ae3000 holds focus and sets lens shift is a major time and hassle saver. It brings a little sophistication to the "zoom" method of CIH. The wife loves it too, no messing about with lens/shift when I'm not around.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, for confusing me even more.

If I zoom in until the top and bottom bars disappear from the screen, on a 2.35:1 screen, the edges should line up at the right and left of the screen, providing a much bigger image on a full screen - right, or wrong?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davison /forum/post/15693423

Thanks, for confusing me even more.

If I zoom in until the top and bottom bars disappear from the screen, on a 2.35:1 screen, the edges should line up at the right and left of the screen, providing a much bigger image on a full screen - right, or wrong?

Correct. The black bars will simply spill over the top and bottom of the 2.35:1 screen.

·
Registered
827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice /forum/post/15675822

Sorry to hijack the thread..

Is there any hardware or software way to simulate vertical stretch when my projector doesn't support it? I'm using a HTPC w/ XBMC + zoom player for non physical media and the PS3 for blurays and DVDs.

My projector is the Sanyo PLV-Z2000 and I'm currently zooming.

Thanks!

Tom

EDIT: After more research, it looks like a scaler is what I need. Now to find which one will work the best!

Your HTPC/Zoom player can do the vertical stretch for you. Look in its aspect ratios.

Another option is to use YXY or this new utility - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=15690737

As for PS3, you may look into DVDO edge. It's getting rave reviews.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts