Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I love looking at what others are doing in their home theaters... if they a 'scope screen, even more so.

I have noticed that the "official 2.35:1 screen picture thread" hasn't had any updates in a very long time. I think all you CIH aficionados should send your pictures into Alan so he can add a few new posts full of pictures to the thread.

Michael.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Yeah a bit sad that this very cool thread just stopped.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/20804571

I agree i enjoy looking at it every know and then checking out everyones awesome room.

Maybe we need to start our own

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
OK here goes.

A bitmap showing my room layout

This room is constructed to be free standing in a given space to prevent sound transmission. It has worked quite well so far.

The Curved AT Scope Screen

The screen is essentially wall to wall giving that cinema feel to the room. The three LCRs are identical and are now active 2 way (70+30) and deliver greater dynamics than passive speakers can. The L and R are place just inside the 1.78:1 area so that the sound cues actually match the picture for all ARs. It also keeps the speakers off the side walls. I am still yet to add side masking (will be an AT wing thing) and I'm going to redo the screen stand and get rid of the raw MDF that you can see.

Looking back toward to the projector

The riser is 300mm (1 foot) and gives good site lines to the screen. Even though the room is small, the THX processed 7.1 sound system works a treat to deliver a very enveloping sound field.

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/0

OK here goes.

A bitmap showing my room layout

This room is constructed to be free standing in a given space to prevent sound transmission. It has worked quite well so far.

The Curved AT Scope Screen

The screen is essentially wall to wall giving that cinema feel to the room. The three LCRs are identical and are now active 2 way (70+30) and deliver greater dynamics than passive speakers can. The L and R are place just inside the 1.78:1 area so that the sound cues actually match the picture for all ARs. It also keeps the speakers off the side walls. I am still yet to add side masking (will be an AT wing thing) and I'm going to redo the screen stand and get rid of the raw MDF that you can see.

Looking back toward to the projector

The riser is 300mm (1 foot) and gives good site lines to the screen. Even though the room is small, the THX processed 7.1 sound system works a treat to deliver a very enveloping sound field.

very nice setup Mark.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/20806232

very nice setup Mark.

Thanks
Yeah we like it.

Your turn

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin
ill wait till i get good photos. Not happy with my pics.
Michael?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin
you lost me there Mark who is Micheal?
The OP. I've only seen photos and he has a nice CIH system.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll get some new photos organized soon.

I'm also in the process of investigating a potential installation of an IB subwoofer... and moving the projector/lens assy back around 1800mm to improve the throw ratio. My HT is a somewhat fluid room, always changing.

Michael

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Wow Mark. That's one serious high performance set up. Great stuff!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here's mine. It is a 112" 2.35:1 Carada Criterion screen using classic cinema white material. It fit the room perfectly!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/20809303

Wow Mark. That's one serious high performance set up. Great stuff!

Thank you. Considering the extremely low budget I was on at the time, it came together quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl /forum/post/20810101

Here's mine. It is a 112" 2.35:1 Carada Criterion screen using classic cinema white material. It fit the room perfectly!

Nice and clean

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
wnl,

I love it. I'm a fan of a nice, clean two-tone look for home theater rooms (not that my appreciation is restricted to such design choices).

Scope screens just look so great in a room, even without an image they say "Cinema!" (Enunciated with a John Lovitz, Master Thespian flair).

These days when I see a photo of a home theater using a 16:9 screen it looks kind of dull, sort of "last gen" in terms of home theater. (With inevitable apologies to those with 16:9 screens...but given this is the CIH forum I think it's ok to say it).

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/20811217

wnl,

I love it. I'm a fan of a nice, clean two-tone look for home theater rooms (not that my appreciation is restricted to such design choices).

Would you believe that the choice of color scheme was the hardest part of the entire theater design? We (my wife and I) spent what seemed like forever to decide what colors we wanted, and we changed our minds countless times. But I am very very happy with our final choices. The acoustic panels are from cinemashop.com. We had someone custom build the cabinetry to our spec. The only questionable thing I did was setting the speakers so high. I think if I had a chance to do it again I would design the cabinets so that the speakers were a bit lower, although that would make the cabinets look a little weird.

For CIH I'm a zoomer. I use a Panny 3000 projector with its automatic zoom settings. I have an automation system from Cinemar that knows the aspect ratio of all my movies and it sets the zoom accordingly (but only two settings: 1.78:1 and 2.35:1).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.