Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm at the point where I've decided to do 2.35:1 because I think (any many of you do) that this is what makes it more "cinema like" :) And, it has a very high COOL factor when showing off the HT!

Anyway, to my point. I just purchase the BenQ PE7700 and was planning on using the "zoom the black bars off the screen" method until I could budget the Anamorphic lens. I know the pitfalls of this approach (reduced resolution and reduced light output) and I am okay with that for now.

Now my issue. When zooming the BenQ PE7000 in and out (assuming the projector is upside down hanging for the ceiling), it does not zoom out equally on all sides. It keeps the top of the image at a constant height and equally adjusts the left, right and bottom.

Is this normal behavior for other projectors? Or is this a BenQ thing?

Because it does this, when I zoom back in to watch 16:9 movies, I loose the top of my picture because it's off the top of screen.

Do I just need to get a different projector that zooms in/out equally on all sizes?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
That is how it works, since there is zero offset the one edge will aways be at the center of the lens, no matter how zoomed. What I did was just tilt the projector when switching formats. I actually sorted all my movies by format (a pain because many don't say the format.) Then I would just be sure to grab a 2.35 movie if I didn't have it tilted, or grab a 1.85 if I did. Not very fun, but it did work.

Warren.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wnielsenbb,

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to know if I might be doing something wrong. You know the bummer part about this is.. usually the DVD menus for a movie are in 16:9 format even though the movie is 2.35:1. So if I zoom it out to fit the 2.35:1, I cut off my menu -- making it hard to navigate. Arrg!! Wish I had the $$ for the anamorphic now. Oh well, there's always Santa :D

I'm considering some type of projector height adjustment mechanism to assist with the aspect switching. I'd need to build one myself.

Steve

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yes, I know all about that. I would zoom out to read the menu then zoom back in to watch the movie. You can get a cheaper panamorph lens used for 410 bucks or so. Check the for sale section. I got mine used for 450. Also on panamorphs website they have a closeout model.

Warren.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Steve

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The eletric screen wouldn't change the height though. An eletric masking system on a 16x9 screen would do the trick, but I think that would be more than the anamorphic lens and an iScan HD+ together.

Warren.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does that projector have a vetical lense shift? Wouldn't that do the trick?

I am planning a 2.35:1 theater with the Hitachi HDPJ52, and was hoping I could use a combination of zoom and vertical lense shift to switch between viewing modes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So would I be okay with the HDPJ52, or Panny AE900 that have a vertical lense shift?

I was planning on creating macros in my remote so I could to make the geometry adjustments with the push of one button.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.