AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be building a media room with a screen something in about the 110-120 inch range. Right now on our LCD we watch 95% HDTV 16:9 and at most 5% CinemaScope movies. With a projector, we expect our movie viewing to increase somewhat, maybe to 15%.

In some small commercial theaters they handle the switch from projecting a normal width movie to one in scope by moving curtains.

This got me to thinking. What if we got a 2.35:1 screen and used movable curtains (maybe motorized) to cover the side black bars which will be there while watching 16:9 sources.

Would this work nicely or be weird? Advice please.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm interested in doing this too. My concern with a 2.35:1 screen size is that it appears Hollywood is going to more IMAX shot movies (or even worse - half or portion IMAX shot movies.) Any of you CIH folks running into problems with this setup?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 /forum/post/20860615

I think you have a lot of stuff to think about when conerning this. And for that stuff I will suggest this article that will help you decide for yourself.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/235_home_theater.htm

Are there any black bars on top and bottom when projecting 16:9 onto a 2:35:1 screen?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenpaulrhodes /forum/post/20861640

Are there any black bars on top and bottom when projecting 16:9 onto a 2:35:1 screen?

No. You will fill the top and bottom of the screen, leaving bars on the sides....hence your curtain idea.....

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenpaulrhodes /forum/post/20861954

One place I went to said that for a 2.35:1 screen, I would need a curved screen while the other proposed a flat one. Anyone know what is best and can explain this?

Curved screens are used with an anamorphic lens. If you are just doing the 'zoom' method (which I do), a flat screen is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I would like to hear avs'ers experience with this as well. I will be buying my first projector in the next few months and I am considering a 2.4 screen with a diy curtain masking system.

I was thinking about installing black velvet curtains with the curtain mechanism recessed into the ceiling as close as possible to the screen.

I have a concern with the curtain being a few inches away from the screen and creating shadows on the screen. In the event that it becomes a problem I thought about putting some velcro on the screen border and the other side to the back of the curtain to close the gap somewhat.

Any reason this would not work? The curtains could act as an acoustic room treatment as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.