AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to thrash this topic a bit more in the Joe Kane 2-projector thread but decided it might be better served on its own. Assuming that TI does release a 2.35 chip sometime soon, what does this portend? Will we own two projectors? Will we watch 1.78 inside of the 2.35 frame? Will outboard lenses go by-by?

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
You would be able to use the full chip 2560 x 1080 for 2.35, and for 16:9 obtain the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. With Servo memory lens you could auto zoom/focus/lens shift/mask-blank for larger 16:9 image to obtain CIA.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG /forum/post/18123542

With a Sevo memory lens and 4 way masking you will have the ultimate CIA setup

Yes you could and I agree such a setup would be cool, but it will still be an extreme oddity and 98% of installations will employ a constant height setup.

So Pete, my answer to your question is yes (no?
), anamorphic lenses would not be used and yes you would view 1.78 inside of the 2.35 frame. And no we won't own two projectors

·
Premium Member
25,551 Posts
I think they should make a 2.05:1 chip to be used with a 1.15 anamorphic lens, ideally part of the pj and motorized, that gives 2.35:1 in one position and 1.78:1 when rotated 90 deg.

That way you get to use all of the pixels and all of the light all of the time; for 2.35 and 1.78 material, anyway.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/18125107

I think they should make a 2.05:1 chip to be used with a 1.15 anamorphic lens, ideally part of the pj and motorized, that gives 2.35:1 in one position and 1.78:1 when rotated 90 deg.

That way you get to use all of the pixels and all of the light all of the time; for 2.35 and 1.78 material, anyway.

Not likely to happen...plus if we end up with 1920x1080 for the 1.78 slice of the chip, that's where we are now...we lose nothing there yet we get the additional pixels for 2.35. Seems like a good solution...no fuss, no muss and no costly add-on lenses.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/18126266

You lose the light from the unused pixels.

Why does that matter? Do you want your 16:9 image to be brighter than your 2.35 image? Do you currently feel like you're wasting pixels of light when watching 4:3 on your 16:9 projector? Sounds like you want to use the full panel for the sake of using the full panel. With a native scope chip, you'll have constant image brightness across the aspect ratios. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

·
Premium Member
25,551 Posts
It matters because I want more light for a bigger screen.

Depending on what AR screen and type of zooming, the solution I suggested would give equal brightness.

This would require a 2.05:1 screen, which I admit is as unlikely to be adopted by users as is TI doing what I suggested.

Oh, and there will be additional light lost because a 2.35 chip is inherently harder to illuminate evenly than a squarer AR

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So assuming a 2.35 screen will be used, you'd need a motorized rotatable lens and motorized-zoom memory. Sounds like a lot of trouble just to get some added brightness. Why not just go with a bright 16:9 + anamorphic lens? Maybe you're really after CIA + 4way masking and a highpowered 4k projector?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Yes, native scope( its actually 2.37) is happening. There are at least 2 domestic PJ companies already heavily involved and committed.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Hmm, the US has any Domestic PJ companies?! Christie Digital is Canadian, DPI is British (again), following IMAX's disposal to management. IMAX hasn't done 'digital' projectors since. InFocus will probably soon extend the ACER line-up, like Mr. Hui's previous companies;-). The nest it left in '86, Planar is doing Front Projectors, but mostly painted over Christies and Delta's;-), at least in the higher-end.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.