AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i saw it sitting on a table only. i don't think they had it running anywhere.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Shawn mentioned to me last week in an e-mail that he was thinking of having another Panamorph Party where he would demo the P561. I plan to bring my VT540 and AVIA to see how the P752 works with it (OK, the P561 too http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ). Maybe one of my fellow Detoit area HT freaks will be there with a digital camera (hard to believe I don't have one)? Nothing firmly set yet and this was in advance of the Stewart deal (not sure if that changes anything).

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if Stewart has brought into ViSR or if it is just a sales deal? Shawn did say that he was unsure of the viability of the P561 so I guess he is not holding big orders like he is for the P752.

I guess once the 1:78:1 projector units start flooding the market the P752 makes a lot of sense for those wanting 2:35

The P561 could have a very short life span and ViSR might not make too many for too long (if at all). I guess this is why I want to get one for my 4:3 Dlp, it might be my only hope of a 2:35 solution (unless I upgrade yet again).

DavidW

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
For as much as everyone has been talking about the new and upcoming 16:9 panel projectors, the vast majority of digital projectors are designed for computer presentation use, which is a 4:3 world.

So I'm guessing that there is still a viable market for the P561 (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive). And it will be particularly suitable for fixed-height,variable-width screen HT setups for the 80%+ 4:3 FPTV market.

-Dean.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
The P561 prototype was indeed at the Stewart booth but only during the AVS meet. It was enough of a challenge explaining the P752 to many unfamiliar with anamorphic technology that I didn't want to confuse the issue. Unless there are better ideas on timing, I'd like to have a P561 open house on Saturday (Sept. 15) at 1:00. As a precursor, it does look like a tank appendage! Also, it has greater barrel distortion than the P752. This is why I'd like to get some feedback from local members before going into production. The prototype also has a damaged element at this point, but this is outside the light path and will not hinder the evaluation.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
It was enough of a challenge explaining the P752 to many unfamiliar with anamorphic technology that I didn't want to confuse the issue. Unless there are better ideas on timing, I'd like to have a P561 open house on Saturday (Sept. 15) at 1:00. As a precursor, it does look like a tank appendage! Also, it has greater barrel distortion than the P752.
That would be right. Dealers need explanations on anamorphic! Sort of makes you laugh. I thought only us customers asked dumb questions. Sort of shows you that the Panamorph may take some some explanation on how and why it works.

Can the barrel distortion issue be fixed? How does the P561 handle all these offset projectors that are common? Is there a linearity issue with the P561? What sort of dimensions and weight and can we use it with the rail from the P752?

DavidW

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
David, it weighs about 9 lbs and is mounted using the same bracket as the P752. I still have to figure out how to mount both correctly without the knobs interfering. The best way to provide most of the details, if it's ok, is to wait for some of the feedback info from Saturday (already a couple of members are coming). In case anybody is wondering, I will be using my Dell notebook with YXY to do the additional vertical stretch.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to have a P561 open house on Saturday (Sept. 15) at 1:00.
I can make it to the Party (might be a tad late). Will the P752 also be available? I'd like to check my VT540 out with it.

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.