AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
ooo..that's a tough one. I've only seen composite units in 2.4. I think if you are going 2.4 wireless you may not notice the difference s-video could give you on a wired system.

THis is a link for some great information on hacking a low cost 2.4 system. It's a great solution, but not s-video. At this price you could try it out. The units cost about 100.

http://www.ipass.net/~teara/atv4-frm.html

I hope someone finds an s-video system at a good cost...I'd like to try.

Cheers,

EAS

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
EAS and Vasim-

I haven't seen any s-video compatible wireless systems either, but there's nothing to stop you from using two sets of these, setting them to two different channels, and using one set for Y and the other for C (after making up the needed adapter cables for each end).

The important thing I need to point out about the information on the link EAS mentioned, is that those modifications are legal ONLY for licensed amateur ("ham") radio operators. Among other requirements, you need to display your call sign on-screen or announce it by audio at least every 10 minutes when using these modified transmitters (that's what the "W6ATV" in my user name is). Two of the frequencies listed are not legal even for hams to use after modification of the transmitters.

Ham radio is a great hobby, and if you're interested, a good place to start is www.arrl.org which is the U.S. national amateur radio organization. To get a license, you need to know some basic electronics, safety items, and radio regulations, and pass a test for about US$6.50 that will be given by other volunteer hams in your area.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
ive seen the above described mod on wavecom last year and it definitely worked as written on that website.

i hadnt thought of using 2 of them for S-video, thats a great idea. ive been using one of those phone line a/v transmitters which doesnt have issues with cordless phones.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 2.4GHz system i have seen at fry's was made by x10 and was about 100 bucks as well. I hesitated to get it because of the lack of sending an s-video signal. I don't know if it's even possible. The other one was from RCA and was around the same price for composite only signal.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Wouldn't you need some sort of Time Based correction on the reception end to ensure proper synch?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I actually own the X10 2.4GHz transmitter system (I think it was called DVD anywhere). Nope it don't do S-video but the picture and sound quality is quite good. I used to use it to transmit directv signal from my IRD in the den to my bedroom and used an RF remote (came with the IRD) for control. Worked great except that there was one spot in my bed that if you layed (lied?) there in a certain way it would block the signal and would give snow on the screen. All in all though, it was pretty damn good and looked and sounded better than I expected. I've since gotten another IRD (the woman always bitched about the history channel being on when she went to bed before me) so I haven't used it in a while. It was a great fix though.

-Trouble

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV

EAS and Vasim-

I haven't seen any s-video compatible wireless systems either, but there's nothing to stop you from using two sets of these, setting them to two different channels, and using one set for Y and the other for C (after making up the needed adapter cables for each end).
Interesting idea. Like someone else mentioned I'm wondering about proper sync. But you could always try it out I guess.

Quote:
The important thing I need to point out about the information on the link EAS mentioned, is that those modifications are legal ONLY for licensed amateur ("ham") radio operators....
Good to know this. I was thinking more that a person could use this inside ones house to up the ability to break LOS better. I am very ignorant about HAM radio freqencies and things. What's the difference between sending a TV signal and say a WI-FI signal? I think you can go up to one watt on WI-FI, but maybe it's the combination of gain etc that's not legal. Again, I'm claiming ignorance.

Quote:
Ham radio is a great hobby, and if you're interested, a good place to start is www.arrl.org which is the U.S. national amateur radio organization
Thanks for this. I wish there were about 10 more hours in the day...

Cheers

EAS

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
EAS-

I don't know the power limits for Wi-Fi (802.11b) network equipment, but one big difference with that standard is that it is spread spectrum rather than a fixed frequency.

I wish there were more hours in each day as well-so many toys, so little time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.