AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Has this been even released yet here in the USA?

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/12899830

It was today: http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

If your update via ethernet you will have to wait a couple of days.

Moviegeek, I do. Thanks.

I decided to be a risk taker. I burned the disc. First time for my Tosh, normally go the ethernet route for my XA2 but burn firmware updates for my Panny...those seem to be few and far these days...

No problems with the 2.8 update. My player still seems to play well with my Kuro 6010 display and Denon 3806 AVR. Still getting 1080p/24 with no problems (another poster said his Panasonic display was not so cooperative.) I did not need to forced mode as 2.7 worked well with my 6010 as far as 24fps.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway /forum/post/12899864

Then why post it here?

i think i got confused about whether question referred to before or after 2.8 update.
or maybe it was during?

·
Registered
70 Posts
just did the update and tested a few movies on my XA2

SD Batman Begins

Upconversion seems to have slightly improved. Judder definitely reduced.

SD Family Guy: Starwars cartoon

Panning shots have improved. Judder virtually gone with panning shots.

HD Bourne Supremacy:

Menu functions seemed to have improved in areas such as speed and response.

Overall the player and the menus seems to respond noticeably faster. Loading movies and start up time seemed to have reduced as well. The AUTO 24HZ function works fine by switching before the feature starts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does the player stay codefree after upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8 (presuming you have used the 2.5 codefree firmware)?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Before posting problems, please be sure to re-initialize the player. This will set everything back to default so make note of what your settings were.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone tried going back a step firmware wise withe XA2?

I think I stopped the process by mistake between the first and

2nd step of the upgrade.

The machine indicates 2.8, but can I go back to 2.7 and re-do

2.8 to be sure of the correct install procedure?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
If it says 2.8 then I think you have 2.8.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/12901004

Before posting problems, please be sure to re-initialize the player. This will set everything back to default so make note of what your settings were.

I did initialize the player, twice actually. Still no more 1080/24 on my Panasonic ae900, which showed 1080/24 earlier today, and still shows 1080/24 from the PS3.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
For those who wanted forced 1080p/24 it seems you have your wish. Check the menu options. Frame rate is either Auto or 1080p/24. Anyone who was not enable this with 2.7 and now can with 2.8?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ChargerFan /forum/post/12900467

1080p/24 no longer works on my Panasonic AE-900 with 2.8

What model player do you have? Have you reset all your settings after you re-initialized the player?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty100 /forum/post/12901032

Has anyone tried going back a step firmware wise withe XA2?

I think I stopped the process by mistake between the first and

2nd step of the upgrade.

The machine indicates 2.8, but can I go back to 2.7 and re-do

2.8 to be sure of the correct install procedure?

Many people have stated to not roll back the firmware. If you do this, your player may become or will become bricked. If your player says 2.8 then you have the 2.8 firmware.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I've installed 2.8 over 2.7 on my A2 via cd. It was successful. However, I don't see any changes in the menus.
I initialized it as well.

Anyways, it's stable like my 2.7. I watched 2 movies this evening and no hiccups or anything. I

So what does it do for A2?

·
Registered
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian /forum/post/12900444

Does the player stay codefree after upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8 (presuming you have used the 2.5 codefree firmware)?

This is the first I've ever heard about a firmware hack. Do you have any more info on this, I'd love to hear about it. Would be interested if they had something like that for the HD-A1 too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was watching an SD DVD (13 Days) on my XA2 last night, after I updated. About an hour into the movie, the audio dropped completely. I changed to anouther HDMI input on my Onkyo 605 and then switched back to DVD and the bitstream returned. Very strange. I hope this is a one time occurence.

Later this morning, I'll return to the same spot in the movie to see if it happens again.

Regards...Will

1 - 20 of 72 Posts