AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason Abit has decided to put 3Com Gigabit Lan on their "regular" (not IS7-G) motherboards. Guess what , I have two of them connected and it transfers 4,193 GB Avi from one to another in about 5 minutes.

I thought you would be interested.

Best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have have installed 4 IS7s for different people, and all have the gigabit lan. The most recent was bought a couple of days ago and came with bios 15 which dates it past the original batches.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm getting about 35MBps over a single gigabit link using 32/33 Intel PRO/1000 NICs. Bridging this connection to my 100TX LAN slowed transfers to about 15MBps, so I just proxy port 80 instead.

Either way, don't expect Gigabit to be tenfold faster.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does the IS7 board support CSA? I was under the impression that it does not, requiring the 3com chip to use, I believe, the northbridge. CSA would offer speed improvement. How much, I am not certain.

Steve

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve

Does the IS7 board support CSA? I was under the impression that it does not, requiring the 3com chip to use, I believe, the northbridge. CSA would offer speed improvement. How much, I am not certain.
I am pretty sure that is the big difference is that the PSA takes it off the PCI bus, lessing the saturation there. Most desktops only have one PCI bus and you need to step up to workstation motherboards usually to get more than one PCI bus.

WRT to the original post, 4.31GB/5min == 0.862GB/min == 0.0143GB/sec == 14.3GB/sec == 114Gb/sec, a little out of spec.

What kind of harddrive did the computer were pushing the files to have? What were you using to send it, HTTP, FTP, etc (different protocal have different overhead, not to mention TCP/IP overhead as well)? How did you avoid PCI bus congestion?

Even though it is a bit old, there is also the benchmarks here:

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect...ver-copper.htm

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My third MB came about a week ago from Directron w/Bios 10, so I am not sure which batch it belongs to. It has this nice new blue fan on the 865 chipset.

I am pretty sure IS7 is not optimized for the Gigabit LAN, most probably it happens because Abit has way too many 3COM chips and not enough Realtek's.

So I 've got two entirely different opinions here :14MBsec, too slow, 114GB out of spec and too fast.

I am using really short cable and TCP/IP for the transfer and didn't doo any particular tweaks. Took a while to resolve conflicts w/802.11b network, but now all is well.

4 gb in 5 min is fast enough for me, I think you can copy from one internal drive to another w/about the same speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Puccio
WRT to the original post, 4.31GB/5min == 0.862GB/min == 0.0143GB/sec == 14.3GB/sec == 114Gb/sec, a little out of spec.
4.31GB / 5min = 862MB / min = 14.4MB/s = 115.2Mbps, so not out of spec of the PCI bus and IDE hard drive write capabilities.

Leo

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pomidor

4.31GB / 5min = 862MB / min = 14.4MB/s = 115.2Mbps, so not out of spec of the PCI bus and IDE hard drive write capabilities.
Sorry, my original post should have read:

WRT to the original post, 4.31GB/5min == 0.862GB/min == 0.0143GB/sec == 14.3MB/sec == 114Mb/sec, a little out of spec.

Meaning you were a little out of spec for 100Mb networking, that you weren't close to gigabit speeds at all. I was wondering what you would do in the future to prevent PCI bus and/or harddrive limitations as those appear to be the bottle neck and what is keeping you from reaching what the NIC is capable of.

Sorry for the typo, galileo2000 and

pomidor :(

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem man!:)

As of performance tweaks, one of my PCs has two WD Caviar WD200JB with 8mb cache each. To transfer 4,193 mb AVI (limit on AVI as you know) file takes about 3 minutes. Both are masters, each on it's own ide. So I don't think I need to bother w/performance tweaks. It is good enough as it is for me.

Best.

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK :)

I have one speedy computer (15k RPM SCSI boot drive and all) but due to the bottlenecks on all otehr comptuers in the house, I've deicded to save my pennies for a gigabit switch until they come down a bit more in price and I can actually get closer to gigabit performance :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, not at all. Spec for Realtek is 10/100, and spec for IS7 (not IS7-G) never nentions Gigabit LAN. It is saved for IS7-G so they can sell it for a higher price. It is just an unexpected bonus for "regular" IS7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.