AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been at least 2 ads for Monday Night Countdown to be on ESPN-HD tonight in the last 3 hours on ESPNEWS. Are they gonna try some sort of test-run of ESPN-HD's studio capabilities?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I saw that last night and wondered if I was on crack. I thought the ESPN HD logo was around the area for the MNF broadcast. Then Monday night countdown had the smaller ESPN logo. I am sure the there is zero chance on seeing MNF on espn hd but it would really be cool for those of us who can't get abc hd yet.

We should ask the user "NetworkTV" because he has all the info on ESPN HD and has been very informative about the ESPN HD studio shows.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not on the ESPN-HD schedule, I checked there. The ESPN-HD schedule is all SD tonight past 9pm (Wild Calls or whatever it's called). The ABC broadcast is set right in the LILS guide for MNF on ABC. I am just wondering abotu this MNF Countdown thing. I'm guessing graphical error ir they're just trying to push ESPN-HD by starting to display the HD logo then disappointing us with SD broadcasts.

HOWEVER!!! I did read that if ESPN-HD is on location there is a VERY good chance that the "pre-game" stuff could be done in HD as well, since there is resources there for it. So... If ESPN-HD sent a crew there (Stu Scott, T. Jackson and all the others, maybe they'll be putting that out in HD..

Still guessing it's a graphics error.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Well, We will have to check it out. Is it on their ESPN-HD schedule?
I wouldn't count on it. Probably the now too familiar ESP*NOT*-HD stretch-o-vision that they're trying to pass off as HD.

Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
they have just changed the ESPN HD logo to an ESPN.COM logo. I am glad to know that I am not crazy and it looked like it would be on ESPN HD on the ad.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fourthstooge
I wouldn't count on it. Probably the now too familiar ESP*NOT*-HD stretch-o-vision that they're trying to pass off as HD.

Hope I'm wrong.
I don't recall ESPN saying they were trying to pass off their non-hd as HD at any time!

I happen to enjoy the way they broadcast the ESPNHD channel at NON-HD

times, If you don't I suggest you try the normal ESPN broadcast channel I'm sure it's still there for those who don't like ESPN-HD.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was watching Sportscenter just now and they put the add up and it does have the ESPNHD logo.....Would be nice if it was.....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB
They're watching us.
Yes, I keep telling people....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Are they gonna try some sort of test-run of ESPN-HD's studio capabilities?
I'm pretty sure it's not even close to being ready yet.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Now don't forget that about a month or so back, during a couple of preseason games, the announcers teased that "Countdown" and the college football studio show would be in HD this year. We had some discussion about it at the time and a lot of people said it wouldn't happen this year. But if they're teasing it again, who knows?

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
There have been at least 2 ads for Monday Night Countdown to be on ESPN-HD tonight in the last 3 hours on ESPNEWS. Are they gonna try some sort of test-run of ESPN-HD's studio capabilities?
No. The new building is still a hard hat area. Countdown will not be in HD this season. Sportscenter will be the first show in HD. No definite news on a timeframe for Baseball Tonight being in HD - my sources seem to indicate not at first.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
well i recorded the ad that made it look like MNF and countdown would be on ESPN HD to my DVD recorder. What's with putting the ESPN HD logo everywhere and then its in SD.

Sangs is correct that the broadcasters on several occasions said Gameday would be in HDTV. This is false advertising to say the least. Those ads made everyone call Direct and Dish to get ESPN HD on those DBS services and now they don't even show any MLB games in HDTV anymore. Not to mention the PQ on Sunday Night football the week was down right horrid.

We are paying for the service now - its time for them to deliver quality.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
You know, I have to admit, I've taken a turn with ESPN-HD. I've been willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because I realize they said that most of the HD programming they'd have wouldn't come until next year. It needs to be mentioned that they were VERY upfront about that.

But let's be honest, they have been doing a lot of bait-n-switch since coming on the air. Games advertised in HD, only not to be in HD; this confusion over the studio shows, baseball pretty much disappearing - it's been a bit disappointing to say the least.

I'm not advocating a protest, or dumping the HD package by any means, but I feel like a sad parent whose child has just let him down.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am peticularly unhappy about this as well. There is no reason on earth to advertise shows to be seen on ESPN-HD as if they were originally taped HD programming unless they really are in HD. This is a very poor tactic to market ESPN-HD. It's like they are selling their soul to the devil to make an extra dollar or two in subscriber revenues to pay for the new HD studios.

Bad business.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You guys are right.

I know for all the hell I gave DirecTV about carrying it and as soon as they are on DirecTV and dish, they quit doing more than two events a week. All of a sudden with two months in the season left, no baseball.

I have a bad feeling that what we are going to pay for are studio shows in HD and very few live sporting events. Two a week is not worth the money to me and sangs is right with the bait and switch stuff. BTW - they are doing that to get people to subscribe and then to find out nothing is on. that is false advertising to say the least.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NO WAY!!!! College FB is awesome. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean we should be punished! Basketball or HD Football. Hmmmm, I'll take College FB and any FB for that matter. It's a short season, don't mess with it!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i'd take baseball over college fb[especially cubs playoff baseball]this time of year[in HD that is]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.