AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got Vista MC, and I've been running with a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 analogue tuner and a Vbox Cat's Eye digital tuner for a year now. For the past few months, my Vbox has had major signal problems with 2 of the OTA channels (NBC and CBS, channels 4 and 5, which are unwatchable on this tuner). Without going into troubleshooting details, I know that the tuner is to blame. Vbox support has yet to get back to me after a couple of months (great support, huh?), so I purchased the Avermedia Combo M780. Now I have two analogue and two digital tuners. So, here are the two questions:

1) On the analogue front, I've got 1 cable run from my STB and 1 cable run from the wall (split right before hitting the STB). VMC tells me that the signals are not identical, so it is only using the signal from the STB. Is this the result of a poor decision on MS's part, or just an error that I'm seeing? Either way, can it be fixed?

2) On the digital front, it accepts both digital tuners, but when I run the digital antenna strength, it's only showing me the strength from the Vbox. It acts like the Avermedia doesn't exist. If I disconnect the Vbox, it shows me the signal strength for the Avermedia. I have found that the Vbox gets most channels that I want in better (2, 9, 11, 30 all have 5 bar strength), but Avermedia gets channels 4 and 5 in better. Is there a way to manually edit the channels that I want to use on each digital tuner? In other words, I want the Vbox to tune/record 2, 9, 11, 30 and I want the Avermedia to tune/record 4 and 5 (and possibly others, if I find that the 3-4 bars of signal strength holds up consistently).

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the suggestion Jerry. I d/led the program and set my new ATSC tuner as primary for watching and recording. I'll see how it works out. Hopefully, that will solve part of the ATSC problem. As far as the rest...

Can I enable certain channels only on certain ATSC tuners? Vbox gives me a better signal on 2, 9, 11, 30 but unusable on 4, 5 while Aver gives me OK but not great signal on all channels...

Can I run two NTSC tuners where one is plugged into a cable box and the other is not?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts