AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3104 GE and have a question concerning Dennis' 2-box wiring method. I understand the concept, but have a question concerning the wiring of the swiched zone outputs from the 3104 to the second junction box.

Since I have a 4-zone GE, I understand I need 4 hot leads from the GE to the junction box (which get wired into the switch legs that go to each zone), but do I simply use two 14-2 (or 12-2) romex cables and mark the neutrals as hot (by wrapping end with black elec. tape) and just ignore the bare ground wire?

Hope my question is clear.

Thanks,

-D

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Disclaimer: I am in no way a licensed electrician.

From my understanding, you can do that and as long as you mark the ends black then I believe it is to code. You can do that and not connect the grounds since you don't have to (according to the answers I got from a previous post in here). Remember you also need a hot, neutral and ground to the GE which I'm sure you have.

I left all the romex wires extra long going into the junction box. The neutrals and grounds are all cut short and connected in the junction box. The black hots all go straight out of the box and into the 4-gang box for the GE. Hence the reason I left them all long. So, I didn't have to add any more connectors in the junction box than needed. I wrapped all the blacks in split romex sheathing and taped it up with elec. tape. Then I ran an extra 12-2 for the neutral and ground from the junction box to the GE and capped each end of the black unused wire.

Hope that is all clear. Make sure to only run one neutral from the junction box to the GE. My electrician friend said even if any addition neutral(s) are only connected on one end, it still creates power noise for some crazy reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.