AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions for a 2 channel amp with 200-250 wpc for less than $800. I know I will be looking at used amps for this price range. The amp will run a pair of B&W CM9s.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
There are hundreds of models in the pro audio world that meet your requirements. QSC, Crown, Yamaha are examples.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
Well maybe you could suggest a couple of the models you've had experience with then? For instance, I had the XPA-3 and would not recommend it.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Well maybe you could suggest a couple of the models you've had experience with then? For instance, I had the XPA-3 and would not recommend it.

why not? easier to provide input if we understand. too much noise? some je ne sais quoi? very very difficult for me to imagine what your particular je ne sais quoi might be, so meaningful input is unlikely unless you can say what it is you want, or did not get . . . I am moderately certain there are no mind readers here.

Personally, I love Bryston stuff. Not sure it's really better, dollar for dollar, than alternatives, but I cannot imagine worrying about the performance of essentially any Bryston power amp with normal speakers in non-concert-hall sized rooms. If you are playing normalish speakers in a house, and not trying to get bass pumpin outdoors, pretty much any Bryston new or used will perform impeccably. But so, probably, will a dozen others that I have not owned or paid a ton of attention to in third party reviews or measurements. . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Shivaji, do you have experience with Rotel RB-1080? This is one of the ones I was looking at was wondering how they sound.

Other amps I am seeing in my price range are the Parasound 2250, Adcom GFA 555/5500 and B&K 200.0. I saw a Bryston 4b sell for $700 on ebay which probably would have been nice, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something that is probably around 30 years old. What are your thoughts on these amps?

·
Registered
15,530 Posts
I had a Rotel 1080 amp (paired with a Rotel 1090 preamp). Recently upgraded to Parasound Halos, but the Rotels were excellent. PM me if interested in buying one or both.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Shivaji, do you have experience with Rotel RB-1080? This is one of the ones I was looking at was wondering how they sound.

Other amps I am seeing in my price range are the Parasound 2250, Adcom GFA 555/5500 and B&K 200.0. I saw a Bryston 4b sell for $700 on ebay which probably would have been nice, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something that is probably around 30 years old. What are your thoughts on these amps?
I've had a couple Adcom GFA 535's. My friend had a 555. We compared them and could hear no difference in our systems. Both sounded great. A lot of people say the 535 was the best sounding Adcom amp made. Seems like much more power than the specs suggest. What are you powering?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for suggestions for a 2 channel amp with 200-250 wpc for less than $800. I know I will be looking at used amps for this price range. The amp will run a pair of B&W CM9s.

Thanks
Hi JJ. To directly answer your question, a pair of Emotiva XPA-100's would probably do the trick.

However... I'm wondering what other equipment you have at present and why you think you need to add a 200 - 250WPC power amp?**

In your other thread, you where considering getting an $800 Klipsch sub. Did you go ahead with that?

The reason I ask is because adding of a good quality sub (or indeed a second matching one) to your system will yield much greater actual audio quality improvements than the addition of a power amp ever will. This is especially the case if your existing amplification (via AVR?) is capable of cleanly driving (no audible clipping) your B&W's to your preferred maximum volume levels. Considering the value of your speakers, and depending on the volume of your room, spending in the order of $1500 on sub(s) would not be unreasonable.

Please let us know what your other gear is and your thoughts. ;)

(** HT Labs measured the B&W CM9's at a healthy 92.5dB/2.83V/1m sensitivity, so a stereo pair will need less than 20dBW or about 90W bursts from each amp to achieve 110dBSPL peaks at average listening distances. This is well within the capabilities of most mid-tier AVR's. However, lower-tier AVR's may baulk at the 3.4Ω impedance minima if the CM9's are run full range at these volumes.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Giegar, Currently the B&Ws are running off a Pioneer Elite SC-63 AVR. I'm not sure if it is clipping or not, but tan over light keeps popping up on the display. Also the speakers just don't sound as good as when I tested them at the store, which was done on a Rotel amp I believe.

As far as the sub goes, I decided against the Klipsch and purchased a HSU VTF3-MK5.

I was at a local stereo shop yesterday and they had a B&K ST-202+ for $350. I seem to see mixed reviews on B&K and was wondering if this was a good deal. They didn't have it hooked up so I'm going back tomorrow to demo it. I think they will let me take it home to demo in my system also.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Thanks
Below clipping, they sound the same. Go see your local used dealer. They'll have items that fit your budget.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Some amps may have a similar sound signature, but if you were to pick out two brands of totally opposite signature, you'll be able to tell.

Rotel and B&W seem to be common match, at least over here in the UK as both through same distributor.

Either way, it's best to ignore the couple of people who are suffering from some kind of mental illness.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Actually, neither expectation bias nor the placebo effect are mental illnesses. So don't worry. They are both well proven in the last four decades or so and simply part of being human. Folk who believe themselves to be immune are ill informed or delusionslly believe they are superhuman. Or . . They have a problem around kryptonite

1 - 15 of 15 Posts